The species of the genus Monilaria grow as sparsely branched, deciduous shrubs with a stature height of up to 20 centimeters. Their short, thickened internodes reach a diameter of 10 to 20 millimeters. The first pair of leaves of the year is completely fused, more or less hemispherical, has a small tip slightly keeled on the underside and forms an almost spherical body of up to 10 millimeters. The second pair of leaves is about 10 centimeters long and 3 to 5 millimeters wide. It is flattened at the top and only grown together over about a tenth of the length. The epidermis contains bladder cells of various shapes and sizes .
The individual, stalked, terminal flowers appear from the second pair of leaves. Your papilose flower stalk is up to 10 centimeters long. There are 5 sepals arranged in a spiral shape . The petals and the thread-like staminodes are white, salmon-colored, rose-pink or purple-red.
The chromosome number is 2n = 18, 36.
Systematics and distribution
The distribution area of the genus Monilaria extends from Namaqualand in the South African province of Northern Cape to the places Vanrhynsdorp and Vredendal in the province of Western Cape . The plants grow on quartz-covered plains. The annual rainfall is less than 200 millimeters, with the majority falling in winter.
The first description was published in 1929 by Gustav Schwantes . The holotype is Monilaria chrysoleuca . According to Hans-Dieter Ihlenfeldt (* 1932) the genus Monilaria includes the following species:
- Monilaria chrysoleuca (Schltr.) Schwantes
- Monilaria moniliformis (Thunb.) Ihlenf. & S.Jorgensen
- Monilaria obconica Ihlenf. & S.Jorgensen
- Monilaria pisiformis (Haw.) Schwantes
- Monilaria scutata (L. Bolus) Schwantes
- Heidrun EK Hartmann (Ed.): Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants: Aizoaceae FZ . Springer Verlag, Berlin / Heidelberg / New York 2001, ISBN 3-540-41691-9 , pp. 176 .
- Gideon Smith et al. a. (Ed.): Mesembs of the World: Illustrated Guide to a Remarkable Succulent Group . Briza Publications, 1998, ISBN 1-875093-13-3 , pp. 242-243 .
- Garden world . Volume 69, p. 69, 1929
- Heidrun EK Hartmann (Ed.): Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants: Aizoaceae AE . Springer Verlag, Berlin / Heidelberg / New York 2001, ISBN 3-540-41723-0 , pp. 176 .
- H.-D. Ihlenfeld, S. Jörgensen: Morphology and taxonomy of the genus Monilaria (Schwantes) Schwantes s. st. (Mesembryanthemaceae) . In: Messages from the Institute for General Botany Hamburg . Volume 14, pp. 49-94, Hamburg 1973