Mappes-Niediek, a trained nurse for psychiatry, studied German and Dutch studies in Bonn and Cologne in the 1970s . After his first journalistic steps at Frontal , the magazine of the Socialist University Association (SHB) , he was editor of the SPD's own weekly newspaper Vorwärts in Bonn in the 1980s . Since 1991/92 he has been working as a freelance journalist in Austria and Southeast Europe. In 1994/95 he was advisor to the UN Special Representative for the former Yugoslavia , Yasushi Akashi , and in 2004/05 he was the spokesman for the German Bundestag .
In the 1990s he wrote primarily for Die Zeit , later for the Frankfurter Rundschau and the Berliner Zeitung , but also for other national and regional newspapers such as the newspapers for German and international politics , the Financial Times Deutschland , the Badische Zeitung , the Aargauer Zeitung , Der Standard and the NRC Handelsblad and now works primarily for public media, such as Deutschlandfunk .
- Austria for Germans. Insights into a foreign country . With 40 photos by Erich Leonhard, Links, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-86153-233-6 . (5th edition 2012; BpB 2012)
- Balkan Mafia. States in the hands of crime - a threat to Europe . Links, Berlin 2003, ISBN 3-86153-284-0 . (translated into Serbian, Croatian, Albanian, Romanian and Spanish)
- Let's be Frank. The incredible story of the secret emperor of Austria . Campus, Frankfurt am Main u. a. 2004, ISBN 3-593-37564-8 .
- The ethno trap. The Balkans conflict and what Europe can learn from it . Links, Berlin 2005, ISBN 3-86153-367-7 .
- Croatia. The land behind the Adriatic backdrop . Links, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-86153-509-6 . (BpB 2009; 2nd edition 2011) - Book series received the ITB Berlin BookAward 2014
- Poor Roma, bad gypsies. What is true about the prejudices about immigrants . Links, Berlin 2012, ISBN 978-3-86153-684-0 . (BpB 2013; 3rd edition 2013; translated into Czech, Albanian and Polish)
- Literature by and about Norbert Mappes-Niediek in the catalog of the German National Library
- Short biography and reviews of works by Norbert Mappes-Niediek at perlentaucher.de
- Norbert Mappes-Niediek at the DuMont media group
- Norbert Mappes-Niediek at Ch. Links Verlag
- See e.g. B. the imprint of frontal , issue 1 (1980) and there his contribution Die Grünen, Alternative oder Sackgasse?
- CV Norbert Mappes-Niediek ( Memento of the original dated December 8, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. .
- Snježana Kordić : Review of the book by Norbert Mappes-Niediek “The Ethno Trap: the Balkan conflict and what Europe can learn from it” . In: Književna republika . tape 4 , no. 11-12 , 2006, ISSN 1334-1057 , pp. 244–255 ( irb.hr [PDF; 1,4 MB ; accessed on March 29, 2014]).
- Review in recensio 24 (2013) see: recensio.net .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German journalist and specialist author for Southeast Europe|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 10, 1953|