Otto Winkelmann (medical historian)
Otto Winkelmann was the son of a doctor and an operating room nurse. He studied medicine in Marburg, Bonn, Heidelberg and at the Free University of Berlin. He received his license to practice medicine in 1962. After a brief activity as a doctor, he became Heinz Goerke's assistant at the Free University of Berlin, where he completed his habilitation in 1968. In 1969, Winkelmann became Walter Artelt's assistant at the Senckenberg Institute for the History of Medicine in Frankfurt, followed by a C2 professorship there in 1971. He headed the institute from 1993 until his retirement in 1996.
Otto Winkelmann was married to the librarian Ingeborg Raue-Winkelmann, who also worked at the institute in Frankfurt.
Winkelmann dealt in particular with the biographies of doctors from the 19th and 20th centuries, including Ludwig Rehn , Albert Moll , Philipp Schwartz and Ernst von Düring , as well as the history of the medical profession in the 19th and 20th centuries as well as the German Turkish relations in medicine around 1900.
- Contributions to dermatology and venereology in the meetings of the Berlin Medical Society (1860–1960). (1962, dissertation)
- The survival of medical doctrines from ancient times to modern times. Shown using an example from paediatrics. (1968, habilitation)
- “Who should and who is allowed to become a doctor?” Historical considerations. In: Medizinhistorisches Journal , 3 (1968). Pp. 294-309
- The private hospitals and medicine of the 19th century. In: Hans-Heinz Eulner et al. (Ed.): Medical history in our time: Announcement for Edith Heischkel-Artelt and Walter Artelt on their 65th birthday. , Enke, Stuttgart 1971. ISBN 3-432-01698-0 . Pp. 369-383
- Rudolf Virchow and Gustav Wegscheider remembering Alfred Körtes. In: Medizinhistorisches Journal , 7 (1972). Pp. 174-185
- The Frankfurt light guide - new building according to old plans. On the early history of endoscopy. In: Würzburg medical history reports 14 (1996). Pp. 11-15
- Refuse for reasons of age - the pathologist Philipp Schwartz and the Frankfurt medical faculty. In: Hessisches Ärzteblatt , edition 12/2005
- Helmut Siefert: Professor Winkelmann 80 years. In Hessisches Ärzteblatt , issue 3/2011. P. 173
- Werner Friedrich Kümmel: In memory of Otto Winkelmann (1931-2014). In: News bulletin of the German Society for the History of Medicine, Science and Technology , 64th year, Issue 1, summer 2014. . P. 58f.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German doctor and professor for the history of medicine|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 13, 1931|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th February 2014|
|Place of death||Frankfurt am Main|