Live and act
Paloma is the youngest daughter from the relationship of Pablo Picasso and Françoise Gilot . Her older brother is Claude (* 1947). She also has two half-siblings Paulo and Maya. Paloma is the Spanish word for pigeon. This first name was chosen by her father in memory of the symbol of the dove of peace , since the International World Peace Congress was held in Paris in the year his daughter was born. In 1953, Gilot ended his relationship with Picasso and devoted himself to her children and painting. At the end of the 1960s, Paloma and Claude were given their father's last name: Ruiz-Picasso, who married Jacqueline Roque in Vallauris in January 1961 .
Paloma began her career in 1968 as a designer in Paris. She received one of her first large orders from Yves Saint Laurent and in 1971 from the Greek company Zolotas, which makes jewelry. In 1980 jewelry designs for Tiffany & Co. followed. Shortly afterwards, jewelry , sunglasses , perfumes , dishes , bed linen , cutlery , and various textiles and cosmetics were sold under their own trademarks. She is the founder of the fashion label Paloma Picasso Lunettes .
She was married to the Argentine businessman Rafael Lopez-Cambil for 21 years. Soon after the divorce, she married the French doctor Eric Thevenet. The designer has lived in Lausanne , Switzerland , since 2001 .
Artistic representations by Paloma Picasso
Paloma Picasso is depicted in many of her father's works, such as Paloma with an orange and Paloma in blue . In some paintings she is shown together with her brother Claude. She had herself photographed by Horst P. Horst in 1979 , by Robert Mapplethorpe in 1980 and by the artist duo Pierre et Gilles in 1990 .
- Françoise Gilot, a photographic portrait , published on the occasion of the exhibition Françoise Gilot and Ulrich Mack: Treffen, March 4 to June 11, 2006, Pablo Picasso Graphics Museum, Münster, July 29 to September 3, 2006, Kunstverein Ludwigsburg, autumn 2006, Chemnitz art collections . Photographs by Ulrich Mack . With an introduction by Erika Billeter. With texts by Françoise Gilot, Paloma Picasso and Claude Ruiz-Picasso. Bentleli, Bern 2006, ISBN 978-3-7165-1439-9
- Literature by and about Paloma Picasso in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography (English)
- Pablo Picasso's pictures of Paloma
- Paloma Picasso : in Internet Movie Database , accessed December 8, 2011
- Website Françoise Gilot , www.francoisegilot.com, accessed December 7, 2011
- Quoted after the web link "Biography"
- Portrait of Horst P. Horst
- Mapplethorpe portrait
- Pierre et Gilles: Paloma Picasso
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gilot, Ann Paloma (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Spanish-French designer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 19, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vallauris|