Pearl-shouldered ant shrike
|Pearl-shouldered ant shrike|
Pearl-shouldered ant shrike, male
|PL Sclater , 1858|
The species is 15 to 17 cm tall and weighs between 23 and 30 g, has a strong gray beak and a red to orange-colored iris . The male is black except for a white shoulder stripe, a few white spots on the wings and gray-blackish rump. The female is a strong reddish brown, young birds look like females and have pale spots on the elytra .
The following subspecies are recognized:
- T. a. aethiops P. L. Sclater , 1858, nominate form - East Ecuador and Northeast Peru
- T. a. wetmorei Meyer de Schauensee , 1945 - Southeast Colombia
- T. a. polionotus pelts , 1868 - Venezuela and northwestern Brazil
- T. a. kapouni Seilern , 1913 –East and Southeast Peru, Northern Bolivia and the extreme west of Brazil
- T. a. juruanus Ihering , 1905 - between the Rio Juruá and Rio Purus
- T. a. injunctus J. T. Zimmer , 1933 - between the Rio Purus and the Rio Madeira
- T. a. punctured fur , 1868 - between the Rio Madeira and the Rio Tapajós and northeastern Bolivia
- T. a. atriceps Todd , 1927 - between the Rio Tapajós and Rio Tocantins
- T. a. incertus pelts , 1868 - northeastern Brazil south of the Amazon
- T. a. distans Pinto , 1954 - Pernambuco and Alagoas in northeastern Brazil
The call is described as a short, slow sequence of 6 to 7 detached nasal, plaintive tones.
Way of life
The species usually occurs in pairs, is difficult to see, and is rarely found in mixed hunting communities.
Little is known about the breeding season.
The stock is not considered endangered ( least concern ).
- PLSclater: Thamnophilus aethiops. In: Notes on a collection of birds received by M. Verreaux of Paris from the Rio Napo in the Republic of Ecuador . In: Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London . Vol. 26, 1858, p. 65, Biodiversity Library
- Pearl-shouldered ant shrike , in Avibase - The World Bird Database. Retrieved July 5, 2020.
- M. McMullan: Field Guide to the Birds of Colombia Rey Naranjo Editores, 2018, ISBN 978-958-8969-77-0
- K. Zimmer and ML Isler: White-shouldered Antshrike (Thamnophilus aethiops) , version 1.0. In: J. del Hoyo, A. Elliott, J. Sargatal, DA Christie, and E. de Juana (Eds.): Birds of the World .2020, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. White-shouldered Antshrike
- JA Jobling: A Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names. Oxford University Press. 1991, ISBN 0-19-854634-3 .
- / World Bird Names Antbirds. Retrieved July 6, 2020.
- Redlist.Retrieved July 5, 2020.