Peter Wahl (* 1948 ) is a German author . He was a co-founder and board member of the non-governmental organization World Economy, Ecology & Development (WEED) as well as a founding member and member of the coordination group of Attac Germany from 2001 to 2007.
Peter Wahl studied social sciences and Romance languages in Mainz, Aix-en-Provence and Frankfurt am Main . He organized himself in the MSB Spartakus , which he represented in 1973/74 on the board of the Association of German Student Unions. After completing his studies, Wahl initially worked as a development policy journalist and until the self-dissolution in 1990 of the Anti-Imperialist Solidarity Committee for Africa, Asia and Latin America (ASK) founded in 1973 by the Giessen doctor Erich Wulff as its long-term chairman. In the 1980s he participated in the anti-apartheid movement and was a member of the coordination group of the Federal Congress of Development Action Groups ( BUKO ) from 1988 to 1991 . Wahl was a member of the DKP until the end of the 1980s . Since 1988 he has been a member of the editorial team of the Information Letter World Economy and Development and is a co-founder of WEED. From 1994 to 2000 he was a member of the culture committee of the City of Bonn for the Greens and from 1998 was their cultural policy spokesman. Wahl played a key role in the founding of Attac Germany and in the early years of the network.
Wahl is now non-party and lives in Berlin.
Attac and WEED
After the alternative summit to the G8 in Cologne in 1999, Wahl, as a representative of WEED, took the initiative to found the globalization-critical network Attac. Together with Anja Osterhaus from the ecumenical initiative KAIROS Europe, he invited to a first preparatory meeting, which took place on September 14, 1999 in Frankfurt / M. took place. From the founding of Attac in January 2000 to November 2007, he was a member of the Attac coordination group as a representative of the member organization WEED. During this time, Wahl strongly influenced the conception, content and strategic orientation of Attac. He was often referred to in the media as a “board member” or “spokesman” for Attac or the anti-globalization movement and was often interviewed and quoted. He was involved in the organization of the alternative summit and the large demonstration in Rostock against the G8 summit and has participated in several large congresses over the years (most recently at the DGB Capitalism Congress 2009). In his publications, too, he deals with extra-parliamentary movements - such as those that are critical of globalization and the trade unions -, the G8 summits, but also with the international financial markets, taxation and debt relief in poorer countries. Some of his texts - partly as a co-author - were published as Attac basic texts. For a long time he headed the financial markets department at WEED full-time and is still active on this topic as a board member today.
In connection with the violent riots at the Rostock demonstration in connection with the G8 summit on June 2, 2007, Peter Wahl publicly criticized the violent demonstrators and wanted to exclude them from the following demonstrations. For these statements he received criticism from radical left groups. The violence / militancy debate continued inside and outside of Attac for a while. Even after the summit, Wahl reiterated his criticism of the use of force.
- Peter Wahl (Ed.): Why Montezuma Didn't Discover Europe: Europe and the Third World . Cologne: PapyRossa 1991, 236 pages, ISBN 3-89438-029-2 .
- Peter Wahl, Günter Gehl u. a. (Ed.): Foreign debt - a crisis of the south and the north: the example of Bolivia; Background, ways of debt relief, year 2000 . Commissioned by the Catholic Academy Trier, Weimar: Dadder 1999, 141 pages, ISBN 3-933837-02-2 .
- Between hegemonic interests, global governance and democracy. On the crisis of the WTO . In: International Politics and Society . No. 3 , 2000, , p. 235–246 ( library.fes.de [PDF; 178 kB ]).
- The Gessler hood. Comments on the violence debate after the G8 . In: Friday , June 22, 2007 (p. 42 f. In PDF Sand im Gritten No. 60 , attac.de)
- Financial markets as an obstacle to development . In: APuZ , No. 7, 2008, February 11, 2008. bpb, , pp. 33-38.
- Walter Eberlei , Barbara Unmüßig, Peter Wahl: Plea for German debt relief initiatives . Bonn: WEED 1996, 58 pages, ISBN 3-937383-13-1 .
- Walter Eberlei, Rainer Falk, Peter Wahl: 15 Years of Debt Crisis in Developing Countries: Balance Sheet - Perspectives - Alternatives . Bonn: WEED 1997, 47 pages, ISBN 3-9804490-4-1 .
- Peter Wahl, Peter Waldow: Foreign exchange sales tax - a concept with a future. Possibilities and limits of the stabilization of the financial markets through a Tobin tax . Bonn: WEED 2001, 16 pages, WEED working paper, ISBN 3-9806757-4-2
- International taxes. Regulating Globalization - Financing Development / engl. International taxation: regulating globalization - financing development . Weed working paper, Berlin, Bonn: WEED 2005, German 56 pp. / Engl. 55 pp., German ISBN 3-937383-24-7 / Engl. ISBN 3-937383-25-5 .
- Daniela Setton, Peter Wahl, Jürgen Kaiser: Debt Report 2007. Shuffled cards? Upheavals and current trends in North-South and South-South financial relationships / The crisis of established creditors / International debt relief initiatives put to the test . Berlin: WEED 2007, 98 pp. ISBN 978-3-937383-49-1 .
- Financial markets at the service of development are , Eng. Making financial markets work for development , both at Weed Online. Bonn: EED 2008, 18 pp., EED working paper, as PDF files: German (106kB) from Attac Austria - engl. (243kB; PDF) at Weed Online
- AttacBasisTexte 3: Peter Wahl, Peter Waldow: Tobin Tax: Capital needs control . Hamburg: VSA-Verlag 2002, 94 pages, ISBN 3-87975-873-5 .
- AttacBasisTexte 18: Pedram Shahyar , Peter Wahl: Movement in Movement? Experiences and perspectives of globalization critics . Hamburg: VSA 2005, 94 pages, ISBN 3-89965-140-5 .
- AttacBasisTexte 19: Silke Ötsch, Peter Wahl: International Taxation. Change course - share globalization gains fairly! Hamburg: VSA 2006, 94 pp., ISBN 978-3-89965-178-2 or ISBN 3-89965-178-2 , reading sample (20 pp.) As a PDF file (75kB) from VSA-Verlag .
- AttacBasisTexte 21: G8: PR show or world government? World economic summit and globalization . Hamburg: VSA 2006, 96 pages, ISBN 978-3-89965-180-5 , ISBN 3-89965-180-4 .
- AttacBasisTexte 32: Disarm the markets! The financial crash - causes, backgrounds, alternatives . Hamburg: VSA 2009, 94 pages, ISBN 978-3-89965-309-0 .
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from April 21, 2008 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Deutscher Hochschulführer, Bonn 1973, p. 463.
- Toralf Staud: Attac: Blondes groan . In: The time . No. 44/2003 ( online ).
- On the person of Peter Wahl at the Federal Agency for Civic Education, accessed on June 16, 2009
- Die Linke.SDS: Reader on violence / militancy debate (PDF; 531 kB) from June 23, 2007 (PDF file; 518 kB) ( Memento of the original from October 31, 2007 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- see article by Peter Wahl: The Gessler hood (under bibliography)
- Literature by Peter Wahl in the catalog of the German National Library (also works by other authors of the same name)
- Weed Online through Peter Wahl
- Westfälisches Dampfboot publishing house through Peter Wahl
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German author and founding member of Attac|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1948|