Around 1105 he married Gisela of Burgundy , a daughter of Count Wilhelm I. Gisela was the widow of Count Humbert II. Of Savoy , who had died in 1103, and the mother of Adelheid of Savoy , who in 1115 was King Ludwig VI. of France married.
Rainer was first referred to as Margrave in a document dated March 23, 1111. In 1126 and 1133, he and other members of his family furnished the Cistercian monastery of Santa Maria di Lucedio near Trino with property. 1111 and 1116 he lived in the area Emperor Henry V on.
Rainer and Gisela had several daughters and a son:
- Johanna († 1191), ⚭ 1127 William Clito (1102–1128), Count of Flanders ( Rollonids );
- Wilhelm V the Elder (* around 1100; † 1191), Rainer's successor as Margrave of Montferrat;
- Matilda († after 1166), ⚭ Alberto di Massa , called Zueta († 1148/66), Margrave of Gavi and Parodi ( Obertenghi );
- Adelasia, 1167/69 nun in Vandieu (Provence);
- Daughter (maybe Isabella), married Guido IV († after 1172), Count of Biandrate ( House of Burgundy-Ivrea ).
- Leopoldo Usseglio: I Marchesi di Monferrato in Italia ed in Oriente durante i secoli XII e XIII. Miglietta, Casale Monferrato et al. 1926.
- Ranieri at marchesimonferrato.com (Italian)
- Rainieri di Monferrato at Foundations for Medieval Genealogy (fmg.ac) (English)
- Raynerius de Monteferrato marchio
- See marchesimonferrato.com
- See Foundations for Medieval Genealogy
Margrave of Montferrat
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Margrave of Montferrat|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1084|
|DATE OF DEATH||around 1136|