|Metropolitan city||Turin (TO)|
|Residents||2,638 (Dec. 31, 2019)|
|Population density||203 inhabitants / km²|
|Patron saint||San Massimo di Riez|
Summer Palace in Agliè
Agliè ( Piedmontese Ajé ) is an Italian commune with 2638 inhabitants (as of December 31, 2019) in the metropolitan city of Turin (TO), Piedmont region and is the holder of the Bandiera Arancione of the TCI .
The place is located 34 kilometers from Turin at an altitude of 315 m above sea level. The municipality covers an area of 13.28 km².
The municipality consists of the districts Madonna delle Grazie , Santa Maria and San Grato . Neighboring municipalities are San Martino Canavese , Torre Canavese , Bairo , Vialfrè , Cuceglio , San Giorgio Canavese and Ozegna . The patron saint of the place is San Massimo .
The original Roman name of the place is Alladium (hence the name of the inhabitants as Alladiesi ). It was already known as an important fortress in the 12th century. In the 17th century, the fortress was converted into a palace by Prince Filippo di Agliè, which was destroyed during the French invasion in 1706. In 1756 the ruins of Karl Emanuel III. , Duke of Savoy , converted into a summer residence for the Savoy rulers according to plans by Ignazio Birago .
- The Summer Palace, which has an impressive facade and extensive gardens (Italian and English style). It also houses a museum and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site ( residences of the Savoy royal family ).
- The Villa Meleto , the country house of poet Guido Gozzano , which also houses a museum.
- The parish church from 1775, also built according to plans by Ignazio Birago.
- The St. Marthe Church built by the famous architect Costanzo Michela.
- In the districts: Sanctuaries of Madonna delle Grazie (Our Lady of Grace) and St. Marie della Rotonda .
The community has a library, a kindergarten, a primary school and a secondary school. There is also a pharmacy, a supermarket and various shops.
The Summer Palace was used in the Italian telenovela Elisa di Rivombrosa as the setting for Rivombrosa Castle.
- Carlo Cardinal Furno (1921–2015), Cardinal and Cardinal Grand Master of the Order of the Knights of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem, Honorary Citizen of Agliè (2011)
- Guido Gozzano (1883-1916), famous Italian poet
- Count Filippo San Martino di Agliè (1604–1667), politician and writer.
- aglieonline.it (Italian)
- Information at piemonteweb.it (Italian)
- Information at comuni-italiani.it (Italian)
- Il castello di Agliè (Italian / English)
- Statistiche demografiche ISTAT. Monthly population statistics of the Istituto Nazionale di Statistica , as of December 31 of 2019.
- Bandiera Arancione. In: Bandierearancioni.it. Retrieved April 25, 2018 (Italian).