Rajeev Motwani (born March 26, 1962 in Jammu , † June 5, 2009 in Atherton ) was an Indian computer scientist .
Motwani went to school in New Delhi and studied at the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur (Bachelor 1983) and the University of California, Berkeley . There he received his doctorate in 1988 under Richard M. Karp ( Probabilistic Analysis of Matching and Network Flow Algorithms ). He then went to Stanford University , where he became a professor of computer science. He was Director of Graduate Studies for Computer Science at Stanford and founder of the Mining Data at Stanford (MIDAS) project. In 2009 he was found drowned in his swimming pool; he couldn't swim. Tests had also shown a blood alcohol content of 2.6 per mille.
At Stanford he was co-author of some important early work on the PageRank algorithm on which the Google search engine is based (with Google founders Larry Page , Sergey Brin and their teacher Terry Winograd ). He has also served on the boards of directors of Google and several other startups at Stanford (such as PayPal ). He was known for his research on randomized algorithms, including data mining , robotics and computer-aided drug development. In the late 1990s, he and Piotr Indyk published fundamental work on Locality-Sensitive Hashing (LSH).
In 2001 he received the Gödel Prize with others for his participation in the PCP theorem . He was a Sloan Research Fellow and received the National Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation .
His PhD students include Moses S. Charikar , Piotr Indyk .
- With Prabhakar Raghavan: Randomized Algorithms , Cambridge University Press 1995
- With John Hopcroft , Jeffrey Ullman : Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation , 2nd edition, Addison-Wesley 2000
- Obituary Stanford (English)
- ↑ Rajeev Motwani in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- ^ Henry K. Lee: Stanford tech mentor was drunk when he drowned . In: San Francisco Chronicle . Hearst Communications, Inc., pp. D-4. July 16, 2009. Retrieved July 17, 2009.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Indian computer scientist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 26, 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Jammu , India|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 5, 2009|
|Place of death||Atherton|