Randolph Braumann (* December 12, 1934 in Bochum as Friedhelm Braumann ; † August 21, 2020 in Görlitz ) was a German journalist . He was best known for his war reports for Stern magazine . Along with Peter Scholl-Latour , Horst Faas and Perry Kretz, he was considered the best-known German war journalist of the 1970s.
Live and act
As a child, Braumann experienced the bombing of the Second World War on Bochum. At the age of 17 he started working as a reporter for Bochumer Anzeiger .
He reported from the front in the Yom Kippur War , the Vietnam War , the Angola Civil War , the Bangladesh War and the First Gulf War . Braumann led for the Star exclusive interviews with heads of state like Idi Amin , Mobutu Sese Seko , Saddam Hussein , Muammar Gaddafi and the Secretary General of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), George Habash . During this time, Braumann was sentenced to death in absentia due to his reporting by George Habasch. During the Black September uprising , the reporter Gerd Heidemann Braumann saved his life. Braumann had proposed Heidemann for the Federal Cross of Merit for his daring commitment .
In the course of a report about the Simba uprising , Moïse Tschombé and the German mercenary Kongo-Müller , Braumann typed the "government declaration" for the European mercenaries under the Belgian Jean Schramme , who occupied the city of Bukavu from August to November 1967 .
- In the footsteps of Karl May. Journey to the sites of his books Econ Verlag, Vienna 1979, ISBN 3-430-11514-0 .
- Africa is being fed to death. A plea for a new development policy. with Volker Rasch, Rasch and Röhrig Verlag, Hamburg et al. 1986, ISBN 3-89136-057-6 .
- Cape Town: the white oasis. In: Geo-Magazin. Hamburg 1979,12, pp. 126-152. Informative experience report.
- Peter Chemnitz: Come on, fuck the dog! The Life of Star War Reporter Randy Braumann. Weltbuch-Verlag, Dresden 2013, ISBN 978-3-938706-43-5 .
- Jürgen Sieber: Where, please, is the next war going? In: Der Tagesspiegel. February 10, 2008. (Portrait of Randolph Braumann)
- Randolph Braumann: How did Idi Amin become a butcher? In: Der Tagesspiegel. August 18, 2003.
- Gerd Heidemann the sniffer dog / A former war and star reporter at Stern. on: jungemedienhamburg.wordpress.com (Report on Gerd Heidemann and how he saved Braumann's life. Scans of Braumann's letters to the Federal President are enclosed.)
- Randolph Braumann: Obituary notice, Sächsische Zeitung. Accessed August 30, 2020 .
- Peter Chemnitz: Come on, fuck the dog! The Life of Star War Reporter Randy Braumann. Weltbuch-Verlag, Dresden 2013, ISBN 978-3-938706-43-5
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Braumann, Randolph; Braumann, Friedhelm (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German photographer and journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 12, 1934|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bochum|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 21, 2020|
|Place of death||Goerlitz|