Robert L. Bryant
Bryant graduated from North Carolina State University in Raleigh with a bachelor's degree in 1974 and received his PhD in 1979 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with Robert Brown Gardner . He was then an Assistant Professor and from 1982 Professor at Rice University (from 1986 as Noah Harding Professor ). He was then a professor at Duke University until 2008 (from 1987 as Juanita M. Kreps Professor) and was then Senior Research Scientist there .
From 2007 to 2013 he was director of the MSRI , where he had been doing research since 1983, e.g. in 2003 as Simons Research Professor (and co-organizer of the differential geometry program at MSRI) and in 2002 as Clay Research Professor. From 1999 he was a member and 2001 to 2004 director of the Board of Trustees of the MSRI. He has also been a professor at the University of California, Berkeley since 2007 .
He deals with geometric theory (nonlinear) partial differential equations with applications in mathematical physics and Riemannian geometry, in general with differential geometry , outer differential form systems , Finsler geometry and spaces with special holonomies .
In 1979/80 and 1993 he was at the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) and he was director of the Park City / IAS Mathematics Institute. He was visiting professor at Harvard (1982), at the IMPA in Rio (1990), at the University of Adelaide , at the Elie Cartan Institute, at the CRM in Montreal (as André Aisenstadt Professor), the IHES , the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics , at the ETH Zurich and Columbia University (Eilenberg Professor).
He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences (2007) and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2002) and a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (2013). He was a Sloan Research Fellow in 1982 and a Presidential Young Investigator in 1984.
In 2002 he became a member of the leadership of the US Government's Vietnam Education Foundation and is a member of the International Committee for the National Mathematics Center in Nigeria. He was Vice President of the American Mathematical Society and its President in 2015.
In 1986 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Berkeley (A survey of Riemannian metrics with special holonomy groups).
- Editor with David Bao, SS Chern , Zhongmin Shen A sampler of Riemann-Finsler Geometry , Cambridge University Press 2004
- with Robert Brown Gardner , SS Chern, HL Goldschmidt, Phillip Griffiths Exterior Differential Systems , MSRI Publ. 18, Springer Verlag 1991
- with Phillip Griffiths, Dan Grossmann Exterior Differential Systems and Euler-Lagrange Partial Differential Equations , Chicago Lectures in Mathematics, University of Chicago Press 2003
- Editor with Victor Guillemin , Sigurdur Helgason , RO Wells Integral Geometry , Contemporary Mathematics 63, AMS 1987
- Metrics with exceptional holonomy , Annals of Mathematics, Volume 126, 1987, pp. 525-567
- An introduction to Lie groups and symplectic geometry , in Geometry and quantum field theory , IAS / Park City Math. Series 1, American Mathematical Society 1995, pp. 5-181
- with Lucas Hsu, Phillip Griffiths Hyperbolic exterior differential systems and their conservation laws , part 1,2, Selecta Mathematica, 1, 1995, 21-112, 265-323
- with Griffiths Characteristic Cohomology of Differential Systems , Part 1,2, Journal of the AMS, Volume 8, 1995, pp. 507-596, Duke Math. J., Volume 78, 1995, pp. 531-676
- with Hsu, Griffiths Toward a Geometry of Differential Equations , in: Geometry, Topology & Physics , Conf. Proc. Lecture Notes Geom. Topology, VI, International Press, Cambridge, MA, 1995, pp. 1-76
He is the editor of Volume 4 of Phillip Griffiths' Collected Works with David Morrison.
- Homepage at MSRI
- Homepage at Duke University
- Robert L. Bryant in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
|SURNAME||Bryant, Robert L.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bryant, Robert Leamon (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 30, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kipling, Harnett County , North Carolina|