Macdonald received her PhD from Oxford University in 1987 and was at Brunel University and Keele University before becoming a lecturer in 1996 , then reader in cultural anthropology at the University of Sheffield in 2005 . From 2006 she taught as a professor of social anthropology at the University of Manchester . In 2012 she became an Anniversary Professor in the Department of Sociology at the University of York . There she headed the "Profusion" focus in the Heritage Futures project. In 2015 she took up an Alexander von Humboldt professorship at the Humboldt University in Berlin (Institute for European Ethnology), where she set up a center for cultural heritage and museum research with the support of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation and the Museum for Natural History (Berlin) hat (CARMAH, Center for Anthropological Research on Museums and Heritage). Macdonald also received (beyond the duration of the Alexander von Humboldt Professorship) a regular professorship for European Ethnology at the Humboldt University in Berlin. She also works on the Humboldt Forum project .
Macdonald researches how societies choose their artifacts and topics for presentation in museums, also against the background that in most museums only around five percent of the holdings are presented to the public. She did the same in Germany (as a Humboldt fellow from 2000 to 2006) in relation to National Socialism in Nuremberg . More recently, she has been working on the representation of Islam in museums, alongside her other research topics on looted art and colonial history in museums.
- Difficult heritage: negotiating the Nazi past in Nuremberg and beyond, Routledge 2009
- Editor with Helen Rees Leahy: The International Handbooks of Museum Studies, 4 volumes, Wiley-Blackwell 2015
- Memorylands: Heritage and Identity in Europe Today, Taylor and Francis 2013
- Behind the Scenes at the Science Museum, Berg Publishers 2002
- Editor with Pat Holden, Shirley Ardener: Images of Women in Peace and War: Cross-Cultural and Historical Perspectives, Macmillan 1987
- as editor: The Politics of Display: Museums, Science, Culture, Routledge 1998
- as editor: A Companion to Museum Studies, Blackwell Companions in Cultural Studies, Wiley-Blackwell 2006
- CARMAH homepage
- Homepage of the Institute for European Ethnology
- Humboldt Professorship for MacDonald
- Interview with Daniela Siebert, Deutschlandfunk Kultur, 2015
- Sharon Macdonald: Academic Biography. Retrieved January 22, 2020 (English).
- Sharon Macdonald - Sociology, The University of York. Retrieved January 22, 2020 .
- Sharon Macdonald - Co-Investigator. In: Heritage Futures Project. Retrieved January 22, 2020 (English).
- Timo Schmidt: Prof. Dr. Sharon Macdonald - Institute for European Ethnology. Retrieved January 22, 2020 .
- Our Center. In: CARMAH homepage. Retrieved January 22, 2020 (English).
- Sharon Jeanette Macdonald. In: Prize winners of the Humboldt Professorship. Retrieved January 22, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Macdonald, Sharon Jeannette|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British ethnologist and museum scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1961|