Bulky bulrush ( Juncus squarrosus )
The bulky rush ( Juncus squarrosus ) belongs to the rush family (Juncaceae).
Distribution and location
The bulky rush is native to Europe and parts of North Africa. It grows in poor pastures, on bog trails , in heather bogs and on the edge of nutrient-poor waters on moist, base-poor, acidic, sandy-clayey or pure peat soils . It is a character species of Juncetum squarrosi from the Juncion squarrosi association, but also occurs in societies of Ericion tetralicis.
The bulky bulrush is an evergreen, perennial, hemicryptophyte that reaches heights of between 10 and 35 centimeters. It forms dense lawns with short runners. The flowering stems that grow rigidly upright have a tuft of numerous bristle-shaped, stiff and runny leaves at the base . They are always significantly longer than this. The leaves grow from the shoot protruding, arching and ascending.
The terminal inflorescence is a doldy spiral with longer and several short bracts and several more or less long stalked partial inflorescences with densely packed individual flowers. The skin-fringed, between 5 and 7 millimeters long petals ( perigon ) are strong and olive-brown with a green central stripe. They are as long as the blunt, cylindrical-egg-shaped and spiky, brown capsule fruit . The seeds are elongated and reticulate-pitted. The bulky bulrush blooms from June to August.
The number of chromosomes is 2n = 42, less often 40.
The long-lived capsule fruits can be detached from the plant by shaking them and are spread by the wind. The flowers are pollinated by the wind.
- J. Grau, BP Kremer, BM Möseler, G. Rambold & D. Triebel: Gräser , Mosaik-Verlag, Munich 1996, ISBN 3-576-10702-9
- Henning Haeupler , Thomas Muer: picture atlas of the fern and flowering plants of Germany (= the fern and flowering plants of Germany. Volume 2). Published by the Federal Agency for Nature Conservation. Ulmer, Stuttgart 2000, ISBN 3-8001-3364-4 .
- E. Oberdorfer: Plant-sociological excursion flora. Ulmer, Stuttgart 1994, ISBN 3-8252-1828-7
- Erich Oberdorfer : Plant-sociological excursion flora for Germany and neighboring areas . With the collaboration of Angelika Schwabe and Theo Müller. 8th, heavily revised and expanded edition. Eugen Ulmer, Stuttgart (Hohenheim) 2001, ISBN 3-8001-3131-5 , pp. 147 .
- Bulky rush. In: FloraWeb.de.
- Bulky rush . In: BiolFlor, the database of biological-ecological characteristics of the flora of Germany.
- Profile and distribution map for Bavaria . In: Botanical Information Hub of Bavaria .
- Distribution worldwide
- Juncus squarrosus L., map for distribution in Switzerland In: Info Flora , the national data and information center for Swiss flora .
- Thomas Meyer: Data sheet with identification key and photos at Flora-de: Flora von Deutschland (old name of the website: Flowers in Swabia )