Stefan Offermanns studied human medicine in Berlin and London and graduated in 1990 with the medical state examination. In 1991 he received his doctorate in medicine at the Free University of Berlin , in 1998 he completed his habilitation there in pharmacology and toxicology, and in 1998 he was also recognized as a specialist in pharmacology and toxicology.
From 1990 to 1993 Stefan Offermanns was a research assistant at the Pharmacological Institute of the Free University of Berlin, from 1994 to 1997 he worked as a postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology , Pasadena, USA, and then from 1998 to 2000 he received a Heisenberg grant from the German Research Foundation . From 2000 to 2009 Stefan Offermanns was C4 professor for pharmacology at the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg and director of the Pharmacological Institute of the University of Heidelberg. Since 2008 he has been director at the Max Planck Institute for Heart and Lung Research in Bad Nauheim.
Stefan Offermanns is a member of various national and international scientific and academic committees. Since 2006 he has been a member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina .
Offermanns works in the field of cellular signal transduction with a focus on cardiovascular research and metabolism.
- S. Offermanns, V. Mancino, JP Revel, MI Simon: Vascular system defects and impaired cell chemokinesis as a result of Gα13 deficiency. In: Science . 275, 1997, pp. 533-536.
- S. Offermanns, CF Toombs, YH Hu, MI Simon: Defective platelet activation in Gαq deficient mice. In: Nature . 389, 1997, pp. 183-186.
- N. Wettschureck, H. Rütten, A. Zywietz, D. Gehring, T. Wilkie, J. Chen, KR Chien, S. Offermanns: Cardiomyocyte-restricted Gαq / Gα11-deficiency prevents pressure overload induced myocardial hypertrophy. In: Nat Med . 7, 2001, pp. 1236-1240.
- J. Swiercz, R. Kuner, J. Behrens, S. Offermanns: Plexin-B1 directly interacts with PDZ-RhoGEF / LARG to regulate RhoA and growth cone morphology. In: Neuron. 35, 2002, pp. 51-63.
- S. Tunaru, J. Kero, A. Schaub, C. Wufka, A. Blaukat, K. Pfeffer, S. Offermanns: PUMA-G and HM74 are receptors for nicotinic acid and mediate its anti-lipolytic effect. In: Nat Med. 9, 2003, pp. 352-355.
- A. Moers, B. Nieswandt, S. Massberg, N. Wettschureck, S. Grüner, I. Konrad, V. Schulte, MP Gratacap, MI Simon, M. Gawaz, S. Offermanns: G13 is an essential mediator of platelet activation in haemostasis and thrombosis. In: Nat Med. 9, 2003, pp. 1418-1422.
- Z. Benyo, A. Gille, J. Kero, M. Csiky, MC Suchankova, RM Nusing, A. Moers, K. Pfeffer, S. Offermanns: GPR109A (PUMA-G / HM74A) mediates nicotinic acid-induced flushing. In: J Clin Invest. 115, 2005, pp. 3634-3640.
- J. Kero, K. Ahmed, N. Wettschureck, S. Tunaru, T. Wintermantel, E. Greiner, G. Schütz, S. Offermanns: Thyrocyte-specific Gq / G11-deficiency impairs thyroid function and prevents goiter development. In: J Clin Invest. 117, 2007, pp. 2399-2407.
- A. Wirth, Z. Benyó, M. Lukasova, B. Leutgeb, N. Wettschureck, S. Gorbey, P. Őrsy, B. Horváth, C. Maser-Gluth, E. Greiner, B. Lemmer , G. Schütz, S. Gutkind, S. Offermanns: G12 / G13-LARG-mediated signaling in vascular smooth muscle is required for salt-induced hypertension. In: Nat Med. 14, 2008, pp. 64-68.
- H. Korhonen, B. Fisslthaler, A. Moers, A. Wirth, D. Habermehl, T. Wieland, G. Schütz, N. Wettschureck, I. Fleming, S. Offermanns: Anaphylactic shock depends on endothelial Gq / G11. In: J Exp Med . 206, 2009, pp. 411-420.
- K. Ahmed, S. Tunaru, C. Tang, M. Müller, A. Gille, A. Sassmann, J. Hanson, S. Offermanns: An autocrine lactate loop mediates insulin-dependent inhibition of lipolysis through GPR81. In: Cell Metab . 11, 2010, pp. 311-319.
honors and awards
- 1992: Fritz Külz Prize and Ernst Reuter Prize
- 1998: Rudolf Buchheim Prize of the German Society for Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology
- 1999: Basic Medical Research Award from the GlaxoSmithKline Foundation
- 2008: Feldberg Prize from the Feldberg Foundation
- Literature by and about Stefan Offermanns in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage Department of Pharmacology, Max Planck Institute
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physician and pharmacologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 28, 1964|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|