Theo Vennemann called Nierfeld (born May 27, 1937 in Oberhausen-Sterkrade ) is a German linguist . He was a professor for German and theoretical linguistics at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich .
After graduating from the Hoffmann von Fallersleben School in Braunschweig , Theo Vennemann studied mathematics , physics and philosophy at the University of Göttingen in 1957 . In 1959 he moved to the University of Marburg , where he graduated in mathematics, German and philosophy in 1964 with the state examination. After a stay at the University of Texas at Austin , Vennemann was a teaching assistant and assistant professor at the University of California, Los Angeles from 1965 to 1974 . There he received his doctorate in German phonology in 1968 .
From 1974 until his retirement in 2005 he held the chair for German and theoretical linguistics at the University of Munich and there a. a. Vice-dean and dean of the Philosophical Faculty for Linguistics and Literature II. In addition, he held several visiting professorships, including a. in Salzburg, at the Free University of Berlin and the State University of New York. From 1996 to 2013 Vennemann also was a member of the municipal council of Ried .
Vennemann became known for his research on general language typology , but also on the linguistic prehistory of Europe. He formulated theories of the Vasconic original language as the original language of Europe and of the Atlantean Semitides , which are controversially discussed. He also carried out long-term studies on a presumed connection between the origin of the Germanic runes and the Carthaginian .
- German phonology. Ann Arbor, Michigan 1968.
- Schuchardt, the neogrammarians, and the transformation theory of phonological change. Athenaeum, Frankfurt a. M. 1972, ISBN 3-7610-4826-2 .
- Linguistics and related sciences. Scriptor, Kronberg 1973, ISBN 3-589-00001-5 .
- Language and grammar. Basic problems of linguistic description of language. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1982. ISBN 3-534-08305-9 .
- Recent developments in phonology. de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1986, ISBN 3-11-010980-8 .
- Basques, Semites, Indo-Europeans. Original home questions from a linguistic and anthropological point of view. In: Wolfgang Meid (Hrsg.): Language and culture of the Indo-Europeans. Files of the X. Conference of the Indo-European Society, 22. – 28. September 1996. Innsbruck contributions to linguistics. Vol. 93. Innsbruck 1998, pp. 119-138, ISBN 3-85124-668-3 .
- Europa Vasconica - Europa Semitica. Trends in linguistics. Studies and monographs. Vol. 138. de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2003, ISBN 3-11-017054-X .
- Note on the Runic Inscription of the Bergakker Scabbard Mount. In: Christian T. Petersen (Ed.): Gotica Minora Interjecta. (also on DVD: The Semitic Contribution to Indogermania - Lecture, 2005) Syllabus, Aschaffenburg 2006.
- Germania Semitica. Trends in linguistics. Studies and monographs. Vol. 259. de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 2012, ISBN 978-3-11-030094-9 .
- Literature by and about Theo Vennemann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage of Theo Vennemann
- Marcus Simon: “How the Teutons learned to write”. Summary of the theses of Prof. Theo Vennemann. LMU Einsichten 2007, Newsletter 02. archive.org http://web.archive.org/web/20110428025555/http://www.uni-muenchen.de/aktuelles/publikationen/einsichten/072/0721.pdf
- Elvira Glaser , Annanina Seiler, Michelle Waldisphühl (eds.): LautSchriftSprache. Contributions to comparative historical graphematics. Chronos Verlag, Zurich 2011, ISBN 978-3-03-401015-3 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Vennemann called Nierfeld, Theo|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 27, 1937|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oberhausen-Sterkrade|