Thomas II (Savoy)
Thomas II of Piémont (* 1199 ; † February 1, 1259 ) was Lord of Piedmont and temporarily Count of Flanders and Hainaut and Count of Savoy . He was the younger son of Thomas I , Count of Savoy, and his wife, Béatrice Marguerite of Geneva .
In his first marriage on April 2, 1237, he married Johanna , the daughter of Baldwin of Flanders , which made him Count of Flanders and Hainaut by her right until her death on December 5, 1244 . He conquered the city of Brussels in 1242 and took the dukes Heinrich and Gottfried von Brabant prisoner. In 1245 his brother Amadeus Piedmont ceded to him. In 1249 he became vicarius of the Roman Empire in Lombardy and Piedmont and was awarded the city of Turin by Kaiser Wilhelm. A gift from King Henry III of England . he also became Prince of Capua . In 1256 he was defeated and captured by Wilhelm von Montferrat . He was released the following year and died in February 1259.
From 1253 to 1259 he was regent for his underage nephew Boniface , Count of Savoy.
His children were:
- Thomas III († 1282), lord of Piémont
- Amadeus V (September 4, 1249; † 1323), Count of Savoy
- Ludwig († 1302), Baron of Le Vaud (Vaud)
- Eleonore († December 6, 1296) ⚭ 1270 Ludewig von Foret von Beaujolais
- Marie José: The House of Savoy. From the origins to the red count. Pro Castellione Foundation, Niedergesteln 1994.
- Johann Heinrich Zedler, Carl Günther Ludovici: Large complete universal lexicon of all sciences and arts, which bisshero was invented and improved by human understanding and wit. Volume 34. Zelder, Halle / Leipzig 1742, p. 401. ( books.google.de ).
- Johann Heinrich Zedler: Large complete universal lexicon of all sciences and arts, which bisshero was invented and improved by human understanding and wit. Volume 43. Zelder, Halle / Leipzig 1745, p. 1508. ( books.google.com ).
Count of Flanders and Hainaut
(de iure uxoris )
Count of Savoy
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Thomas II of Piémont|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Lord of Piémont, Count of Flanders and Hainaut, Count of Savoy|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1199|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 1, 1259|