The engine includes the engine and (where available) other components necessary for the drive, such as a gearbox or propeller . Depending on the exact definition, cooling and engine cowling can also be understood as belonging to the engine.
In the jargon of car advertisements and trade magazines, a car engine without additional vehicle components is also referred to as a power unit. Furthermore, in railway jargon, the running gear of a steam locomotive including steam engine is referred to as the "engine".
Engine in aviation
Engines in the form of gas turbines and piston engines are used in civil and military aviation . Their main task is to generate propulsion. In addition, essential aircraft systems such as electrics , hydraulics and pneumatics can be supplied by the power of the engine. Generators that are connected to the drive unit via a transmission are used to generate electricity . Numerous systems such as lighting, instruments, fuel pumps, electric hydraulic pumps, de-icing systems, radio equipment and weather radar are fed from it.
Hydraulic pumps can also be supplied directly from the engine without being dependent on electrical power. Compressed air taken from a compressor stage of a gas turbine - the so-called bleed air - can be used to supply the pneumatic systems in the aircraft, such as the pressure cabin , wing and engine de-icing and air conditioning.
Engine in space travel
- The entirety of the drive elements of a steam locomotive (as opposed to the drive) was originally called the engine. See also Triebwerk (steam locomotive) .
- Rocket engines , jet engines and the combination of piston engines , possibly gearboxes and propellers in aviation .
- Motors that are in one block with the gearbox (for example on the NSU Prinz ).
- The drive block consisting of the engine and gearbox in armored vehicles.
- The transmission systems in factories and factories were collectively referred to as the engine. They consist of: driving machines ( piston steam engines , steam turbines with reduction gears , water wheels , combustion engines , göpeln or electric motors ), transmission elements (leather belts, ropes, steel belts, transmission shafts), switching elements ( clutches , belt switches) and accessories (fixed and loose disks, shaft bearings, tension pulley drives, Belt ladder and additional gear).