After graduating from high school in 1969, Raulff served two years in the armed forces (Lt. d. Res.). He studied English and history, since 1973 philosophy and history in Marburg and received his doctorate in October 1977. In 1995 he completed his habilitation in cultural studies at the Humboldt University in Berlin .
A registrar's spelling mistake in 1948 led to the shortening of the family name Raulff zu Raulf. In 1977 an official correction restored the original spelling.
From 1977 to 1993 Raulff initially worked in Paris and Florence, later in Berlin as a freelance scientist, translator and publicist. 1989–90 he carried out research as a fellow of the Volkswagen Foundation, 1991–92 as a fellow of the Thyssen Foundation in Paris. Since 1994 he was feuilleton -Redakteur the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , since 1997 head of department and from 2001 to senior editor in the feature section of the Süddeutsche Zeitung . From 2004 to 2018 Raulff was director of the German Literature Archive in Marbach . Since October 2018 he has been President of the Institute for Foreign Relations (ifa).
Ulrich Raulff has been married to the historian Helga Martha Sprave-Raulff since 1986; Their son Max Julian was born in 1992.
Ulrich Raulff has been a member of the executive committee of the Goethe Institute since 2005 and was a member of the scientific advisory board of the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin from 2012 to 2018. Since 2007 he has been a member of the German Academy for Language and Poetry in Darmstadt and since 2012 in the PEN Center Germany . Also in 2012 he was elected a full member of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences. In 2015 he was accepted into the Académie de Berlin. Since 2020 he has been a member of the Akademie Deutscher Sachbuchpreis, the board of trustees of the Herzog August-Bibliothek Wolfenbüttel and the administrative board of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum Nürnberg.
Raulff translated numerous texts from French, including works by Michel Foucault , Pierre Bourdieu , Lucien Febvre and Jean Starobinski . He left the editorial team of the magazine Tumult , which he cofounded in 1979, in 1986. In 2006 he founded the magazine for the history of ideas (Verlag CH Beck) together with Helwig Schmidt-Glintzer and Hellmut Seemann . He edited the Kleine Kulturwissenschaftliche Bibliothek at Verlag Klaus Wagenbach from 1988 to 1990 and the Edition Pandora series at Campus Verlag from 1991 to 1994 together with Helga Raulff .
Raulff researches the history of ideas and culture from the 18th century to the present. For his study of the French historian and resistance fighter Marc Bloch , he received the Anna Krüger Prize of the Wissenschaftskolleg zu Berlin in 1996. In 1998 he was awarded the Aby Warburg Foundation's Science Prize, and in 2013 the Ernst Robert Curtius Prize for Essay Writing.
For Kreis ohne Meister , his study of the afterlife of the poet Stefan George , Raulff received the 2010 Leipzig Book Fair prize in the non-fiction / essay category . The Last Century of Horses , his book about the end of the horse age, was shortlisted for the same award in 2016; the English translation, Farewell to the Horse , was voted History Book of the Year by the Sunday Times in 2017.
In 2011 Ulrich Raulff was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of Stuttgart . In 2013 he received the Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany .
- as Ulrich Raulf: The normal life: Michel Foucault's theory of the power to normalize. Marburg 1977, (Dissertation University of Marburg, Faculty of Social Sciences, 1977, 221 pages).
- as ed .: On rewriting history , Berlin 1986, ISBN 3803121310 .
- as ed .: Mentalities History , Berlin 1987, ISBN 9783803121523 .
- Epilogue to Aby Warburg : Snake Ritual. A travel report. Wagenbach, Berlin 1988 a. 1995, ISBN 3-8031-3031-X , pp. 59-95.
- A historian in the 20th century: Marc Bloch . S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1995, ISBN 3-10-062909-4 .
- De l'origine à l'actualité. Marc Bloch, l'histoire et le Schwierème du temps présent , Sigmaringen 1997, ISBN 978-3-7995-7277-4 .
- as ed. with Eckhart Grünewald: Ernst H. Kantorowicz: Götter in Uniform. Studies on the development of western royalty , Stuttgart 1998, ISBN 3-608-91224-X .
- The Invisible Moment: Concepts of Time in History . Wallstein, Göttingen 1999, ISBN 3-89244-346-7 .
- Wild energies. Four attempts at Aby Warburg . Wallstein, Göttingen 2003, ISBN 3-89244-674-1 .
- with Andreas Bernard , as editor: Theodor W. Adorno , “Minima moralia” (= Edition Suhrkamp , Volume 2284, ). Suhrkamp, Frankfurt am Main 2003, ISBN 978-3-518-12284-6 .
- as ed. with Ulrich Borsdorf among others: The appropriation of the past. Museumization and History , Bielefeld 2004, ISBN 978-3-8394-0321-1 .
- as ed. with Andreas Bernard: Letters from the 20th Century , Berlin 2005, ISBN 3518416464 .
- as editor with Lutz Näfelt and Dietmar Jaegle: The secret Germany: an excavation. Heads from the George circle . German Schiller Society, Marbach am Neckar 2008, ISBN 978-3-937384-37-5 .
- Circle without a master. Stefan George's afterlife . CH Beck, Munich 2009, ISBN 978-3-406-59225-6 .
- as ed. with Ute Oelmann: Women around Stefan George , Göttingen 2010, ISBN 9783835305137 .
- Goodbye to the seventies. The wild years of reading . Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2014. ISBN 978-3-608-94893-6 .
- The last century of the horses. Story of a breakup . CH Beck, Munich 2015, ISBN 978-3-406-68244-5 .
- The old world of horses , Jacob Burckhardt talks on Castelen, Basel 2016, ISBN 978-3-7965-3515-4 . Translations into English (2017), Spanish (2018) and Korean (2020) are available; Translations into Dutch, Chinese and Arabic are in preparation.
- as ed. with Marcel Lepper: Handbuch Archiv. History, tasks, perspectives , Stuttgart 2016, ISBN 978-3-476-05388-6 .
- The literary archive and its collections. From the past to the future and back . Paul Raabe Lecture II, Weimar 2016
- Things and their relatives. On the development of collections, Hamburger Universitätsreden 24, Hamburg 2017, ISBN 978-3-943423-47-1 .
- with Jost Philipp Klenner: About large animals and papers. News from the German Literature Stud . ADA 11, Marbach am Neckar 2018, ISBN 978-3-944-46935-5 .
- Literature by and about Ulrich Raulff in the catalog of the German National Library
- Ulrich Raulff in conversation with Joachim Scholl , Deutschlandfunk, intermediate tones, August 8, 2010
- Gisela Lerch: New Members of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences, https://idw-online.de/en/news486124 , accessed on June 8, 2018.
- Press release of the University of Bonn from June 5, 2013
- PEN Center Germany: PEN The Author's Lexicon 2015/16 . Klöpfer & Meyer Verlag 2015, ISBN 3-863-5125-45 , p. 1903
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Raulf, Ulrich|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cultural scientist and journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 13, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hülsenberg, Meinerzhagen , Westphalia|