Life and academic background
After studying ethnology , sociology , geography and German studies in Freiburg im Breisgau (1966 to 1972) with a study visit to the Makerere University in Kampala (1968 to 1970), she received her doctorate in 1972 at the Albert Ludwigs University in Freiburg on the subject of cause and the effect of urbanization in Kampala-Mulago with a special focus on the Kiga . 1987 habilitation them in Social Anthropology at the Department of Anthropology and African Studies of the University of Mainz with Scripture Ethnogenesis and internal dynamics of the Baule from 1700 to 1912 .
From 1990 until her retirement in 2010, Ute Luig held a professorship for ethnology at the Free University of Berlin; In 2006/2007 she was dean of the Department of Politics and Social Sciences, and in 2007 she was a member of excellence projects. From 1996 to 2003 she undertook numerous field research and study visits to the African continent.
In 1998, Luig was awarded the Margherita von Brentano Prize of the Free University of Berlin for research and seminar series to promote gender studies in Kurdology . In 2005, the scientist received the Federal Cross of Merit on ribbon .
- 1998 Margherita von Brentano Prize .
- 2005 Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany on ribbon .
- Literature by and about Ute Luig in the catalog of the German National Library
- Web presence at the Institute for Social and Cultural Anthropology at FU Berlin
- List of publications
- Video interview with Ute Luig (2008), Video Portal for the History of German Anthroplogy post 1945
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ethnologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 26, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Villingen|