Valkeala is in the north of the Kymenlaakso countryside in southern Finland. The municipality of Valkeala had a population of 11,656 last and covered an extensive area of 1003.7 km². The area of Valkeala is rural and rich in lakes: In the former municipal area there are 246 lakes of over two hectares, a total of almost 15% of the area consists of water. Part of the Repovesi National Park also belongs to the area of the former municipality .
Valkeala became a chapel parish of Iitti in 1614 and then an independent parish in 1640 . At the beginning of 2009 Valkeala was incorporated into the city of Kouvola together with Anjalankoski , Kuusankoski , Jaala and Elimäki .
Sons and daughters
- Eino Rastas (1894–1965), long-distance runner
- Arvo Askola (1909–1975), long-distance runner
- Elina Knihtilä (* 1971), actress and voice actress
- As of December 31, 2008. Source: Väestörekisterikeskus (Finnish population register). ( Memento of the original from September 20, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- As of 2008, source: Maanmittauslaitos (Finnish land surveying office) (PDF; 247 kB)
- Visit to the twin town Valkeala ( Memento of the original from November 6, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , guestrow.de, December 19, 2008, accessed on November 5, 2014