Under a bird observatory or a Vogelschutzwarte means a public or private institution for the protection and monitoring of the wild bird population. The bird observatories are responsible for ringing , among other things .
The name "Vogelwarte" comes from the painter and ornithologist Heinrich Gätke , who published his book "Die Vogelwarte Helgoland" in spring 1891, in which he summarized his decades of observations on the island. The actual establishment of the later Helgoland ornithological institution did not take place until 1910 under the first director Hugo Weigold . This makes Heligoland not the oldest ornithological station. This was preceded by the establishment of the Rossitten ornithological station in 1903 (later relocated to Radolfzell) by Johannes Thienemann . The bird protection station in Seebach (Wartburgkreis), founded by Hans Freiherr von Berlepsch in 1900, which was a little bit ahead of time, was not yet known as the ornithological station. In 1936 the Hiddensee ornithological department, founded as the ornithological department of the Hiddensee Biological Research Institute, and Seebach were added, which were upgraded to an ornithological station by decree.
- In Germany :
- Hiddensee bird observatory
- Ornithological station in Radolfzell (Today's ornithological station in Radolfzell should not be confused with the southern German ornithological station , which existed in Radolfzell from 1928 to 1938. The German successor to the traditional ornithological station in Rossitten is located in Radolfzell on the Curonian Spit , a Russian one in the original location, today Rybatschi in the Kaliningrad .)
- Ornithological station Heligoland
- Vogelschutzwarte Neschwitz
- State bird sanctuary in Seebach
- State bird sanctuary Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- State ornithological station in Hamburg
- State bird sanctuary for Hesse, Rhineland-Palatinate and Saarland in Frankfurt am Main
- Bird protection station North Rhine-Westphalia . Founded in 1939 in Altenhundem , today Department 24 of the LANUV in Recklinghausen
- State bird sanctuary in Brandenburg
- and the former
- In Switzerland :
- In Austria :
- In France :
- In Norway :
Private bird observatories
Since the term Vogelwart had a positive connotation in the 20th century, there were also private individuals who operated private birdwatches at times. In Gonsenheim , Wilhelm Schuster ran the Mainz Basin ornithological station from 1928 to 1935 . In 1935, Schuster was sentenced to two years in prison by the Mainz criminal chamber for collecting money and using the name ornithological station. He had to serve the full two years. He named the bird observatory Mainz Basin in ornithologist waiting Mainz Basin to.
- J. Dierschke, V. Dierschke, K. Hüppop, O. Hüppop, KF Jachmann (2011): The bird world of the island of Helgoland. OAG Helgoland. ISBN 978-3-00-035437-3 . Chapter: History of bird research on Helgoland, pp. 25–36.
- Joachim Weiss, Bettina Hille, Michael Jöbges (2010): 70 years of bird sanctuary in North Rhine-Westphalia - a checkered history. Nature in NRW 1/10: 15-19.
- Ulrich Köppen (2006): 70 years of the Hiddensee ornithological station - an annotated time table. Reports from the Hiddensee Ornithological Institute 17: 119-127.
- Eugeniusz Nowak: Scientists in turbulent times. Die neue Brehm-Bücherei Vol. 676, Westarp Wissenschaften, Hohenwarsleben 2010, ISBN 978-3-89432-248-9 , pp. 93-94
- Herbert Bruns u. Otto Niebuhr (Hrsg.): Die Vogelwarten und Vogelschutzwarten Mitteleuropas , Verl. Biologische Abhandlungen, Hamburg, 1961; Biological Treatises, Vol. 25–26