The Whetstone River near Big Stone City, Grant County, South Dakota
|Water code||US : 1258942|
|location||South Dakota , Minnesota (USA)|
|Drain over||Minnesota River → Mississippi → Gulf of Mexico|
|confluence||from South Fork and North Fork Whetstone River
Minnesota River below Big Stone Lake
|Height difference||22 m|
|Bottom slope||approx. 1.1 ‰|
|length||approx. 20 km|
Location of the Whetstone River with its two headwaters
The Whetstone River is an approximately 20 km long right tributary of the Minnesota River in the northeast of the US state South Dakota and in a very small area of the west of Minnesota in the United States .
The Whetstone River is a discontinuous stream. It flows east through Grant County past Big Stone City . It flows into the Minnesota River near Ortonville , a little less than half a kilometer after it has crossed the state line to Minnesota, shortly after it exits Big Stone Lake .
Above Big Stone City, the two headwaters, the North Fork Whetstone River and the South Fork Whetstone River , come together, each of which has its source on the Coteau des Prairies plateau . The northern arm flows southeast through Roberts County past the town of Wilmot . The southern arm flows west past the town of Milbank in Grant County .
- Columbia Gazetteer of North America entry
- DeLorme (1994). Minnesota Atlas & Gazetteer . Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-222-6 .
- DeLorme (2001). South Dakota Atlas & Gazetteer . Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-330-3 .
Geographic Names Information System of the USGS :
- Whetstone River in the United States Geological Survey's Geographic Names Information System
- North Fork Whetstone River in the United States Geological Survey's Geographic Names Information System
- South Fork Whetstone River in the United States Geological Survey's Geographic Names Information System .