Wilhelm Vatke (botanist)
Live and act
Born as the son of the professor of theology Wilhelm Vatke , he attended the Friedrichs-Werdersche Gymnasium in Berlin, which he left in 1870 with the school leaving certificate. He studied at the Berlin University, especially with Alexander Braun .
Vatke founded the Berlin Botanical Exchange Association with Carl Rensch .
From 1876 to 1879 he worked as an assistant at the herbarium of the Botanical Garden in Berlin, then as a private scholar. He worked on the collections of Wilhelm Peters , Wilhelm Schimper and Johann Maria Hildebrandt . His own herbarium is now at the Herbarium Haussknecht Jena (JE).
In his honor the genus Vatkea O. Hoffm. named from the chamois horn family (Martyniaceae).
- O. Hoffmann: W. Vatke . In: Reports of the German Botanical Society . tape 7 . Borntraeger brothers, Berlin 1889, p. (21) - (24) ( digital copy at Biodiversity Heritage Library - Appendix “Necrologe”).
- PW Magnus, Annals of Botany, London 3: 493-494. 1890 (bibliography).
- Zepernick & Timler, Englera 1: 111. 1979.
- Stafleu & Cowan 6: 679 -680. 1986.
- Gerhard Wagenitz : Negotiations d. Offered. Association v. Berlin u. Brandenburg, Supplement 6: 518. 2009
- Announcement in the negotiations d. Offered. Association: Negoti. Offered. Association Prov. Brandenburg 12: XXIX. 1870
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names - Extended Edition. Part I and II. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin , Freie Universität Berlin , Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-946292-26-5 doi: 10.3372 / epolist2018 .
- Author entry and list of the described plant names for Wilhelm Vatke (botanist) at the IPNI
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Vatke, Georg Carl Wilhelm (full name); Vatke (botanical author abbreviation)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 12, 1849|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 6, 1889|
|Place of death||Berlin|