Live and act
Wagenitz studied biology , chemistry and physics in Berlin and Göttingen . In 1955 he received his doctorate under Franz Firbas (1902–1964). In 1956 he received a scholarship to the Botanical Department of the Natural History Museum in Vienna , and in the same year he became an assistant at the Institute for Systematic Botany and Plant Geography at the Free University of Berlin (FU Berlin). From 1958 to 1969 he was curator at the Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum in Berlin-Dahlem . Wagenitz completed his habilitation in botany at the Free University of Berlin in 1962. From 1969 to 1993 he was a professor at the Department of Plant Systematics at the Systematic-Geobotanical Institute of the University of Göttingen . Since 1982 he has been a full member of the Göttingen Academy of Sciences . His main areas of work were botanical systematics ( flowering plants , especially composites ) and the history of botany.
Wagenitz was an honorary member of the German Botanical Society and since 2012 an honorary member of the Moscow Society of Naturalists . The plant genus Wagenitzia Dostál from the sunflower family (Asteraceae) is named after him .
- Adelbert von Chamisso as a natural scientist and ETA Hoffmann as a science (= news of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen. Mathematical-physical class. 2005, No. 2, ). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2005.
- Albrecht von Haller as a botanist in Göttingen. In: Göttinger Jahrbuch. Vol. 51, 2003, , pp. 15-26.
- Morphology at the Botanical Museum Berlin. Gerhard Wagenitz on October 4th, 2003 at the festive colloquium in Göttingen to say goodbye to Dr. Ursula Hoffmann. sn, sl 2003.
- “Simplex sigillum veri”, also in biology? (= News of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen. Mathematical-Physical Class . 2003, No. 2). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2003.
- Beginnings of botany at Georgia Augusta in the field of tension between Haller and Linné (= news from the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen. Mathematical-physical class . 2001, no. 2). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 2001.
- Dictionary of Botany. Morphology, anatomy, taxonomy, evolution. The terms in their historical context. With an English-German and a French-German register. G. Fischer, Jena et al. 1996, ISBN 3-437-35180-X (2nd, expanded edition. Spectrum Akademischer Verlag. Heidelberg et al. 2003, ISBN 3-8274-1398-2 ).
- Göttingen biologists. 1737-1945. A biographical-bibliographical list (= Göttinger Universitätsschriften. Series C: Catalogs. Vol. 2). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1988, ISBN 3-525-35876-8 , digitized .
- as editor: Compositae II. Matricaria - Hieracium (= Illustrated Flora of Central Europe . Volume 6: Spermatophyta. Angiospermae. Dicotyledones 4th part 3). 2nd, revised and expanded edition. Parey, Berlin et al. 1987, ISBN 3-489-86020-9 .
- The picture of the plant in botanical works (= Small Exhibition the Lower Saxony State and University Library Göttingen. 9, ). Lower Saxony State and University Library, Göttingen 1982.
- Index collectorum principalium Herbarii Gottingensis. Systematic-Geobotanical Institute of the Georg-August-Universität Göttingen, Göttingen 1982.
- as Publisher: Juglandaceae, Myricaceae, Salicaceae, Betulaceae, Fagaceae, Ulmaceae, Moraaceae, Cannabaceae, Urticaceae, Loranthaceae, Santalaceae, Aristolochiaceae, Polygonaceae (= . Illustrated Flora of Central Europe Band 3: Angiospermae Dicotyledones.. Tl. 1). 3rd, revised and expanded edition. Parey, Berlin et al. 1981, ISBN 3-489-59020-1 .
- as editor: Compositae I. General Part, Eupatorium - Achillea (= Illustrated Flora of Central Europe. Volume 6: Spermatophyta. Angiospermae. Dicotyledones 4th part 3). 2nd, completely revised edition. Parey, Berlin et al. 1979, ISBN 3-8263-2845-0 .
- Author entry and list of the plant names described for Gerhard Wagenitz at the IPNI
- Detailed obituary and bibliography
- Volker Wissemann, Hans Walter Lack: Obituary for Gerhard Wagenitz May 31, 1927 - January 30, 2017. In: Yearbook of the Academy of Sciences in Göttingen 2017, Göttingen 2018, pp. 179–186 ( online ).
- Leonow, Novikow. Patriarch of German botany. On the 85th anniversary of Professor Gerhard Wagenitz. In: Bulletin of Moscow Society of Naturalists. Biological series. 2013, Vol. 118, pp. 84-85. (In Russian)
- Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names - Extended Edition. Part I and II. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin , Freie Universität Berlin , Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-946292-26-5 doi: 10.3372 / epolist2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 31, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Potsdam|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 30, 2017|
|Place of death||Rudesheim|