As the son of a teacher and a seamstress, Greß completed an internship in a steel construction company in Berlin-Reinickendorf after attending primary school . He joined the Socialist Unity Party of Germany (SED) in 1947 . From 1948 to 1951 he studied economics at the Berlin School of Economics and the Humboldt University with a degree in economics . From 1951 to 1958 he was an employee and most recently department head in the Ministry of Heavy Engineering. From 1958 to 1963 he worked as a department head in VVB Energiemaschinenbau and from February 1964 as General Director of VVB Pipelines and Isolations Leipzig . In January 1965 he took over the management of the chemical plants department in the GDR's Economics Council . From December 1966 to 1979 he was Deputy Minister for Heavy Machinery and Plant Engineering (successor to Helmut Schneider) and from 1971 also State Secretary in the Ministry. In 1975/76 he attended the party college "Karl Marx" . On June 28, 1979 he was elected by the People's Chamber to succeed Kurt Fichtner as a member of the Council of Ministers and appointed by the Chairman of the Council of Ministers of the GDR, Willi Stoph , as State Secretary for Investments and Science / Technology of the State Planning Commission. He held this position until the Modrow government dissolved the State Planning Commission in January 1990. Subsequently, until April 1990 he was State Secretary in the Economic Committee, the legal successor to the State Planning Commission.
- Andreas Herbst , Helmut Müller-Enbergs : . In: Who was who in the GDR? 5th edition. Volume 1. Ch. Links, Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-86153-561-4 .
- The People's Chamber of the German Democratic Republic - 8th electoral period, Staatsverlag der DDR, Berlin 1982, p. 110.
- Minutes No. 110/66 of the meeting of the Secretariat of the Central Committee of the SED on December 19, 1966 - Federal Archives DY 30 / J IV 2/3/1248.
- Introduced in functions . In: Der Morgen , June 29, 1979, p. 1.
- Minutes of the 10th meeting of the Council of Ministers on January 18, 1990 - Federal Archives DC 20-I / 3/2898.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician (SED), economic functionary of the GDR|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 9, 1929|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 21, 2000|