Zvi Elpeleg (* 1926 in Baranów , Poland ; † June 27, 2015 ) was an Israeli Arabist and politician .
Zvi Elpeleg was born in Baranów near Lublin in 1926. When he was eight years old, his family emigrated to the British Mandate of Palestine . Elpeleg grew up in Jaffa and later studied Arabic in Tel Aviv with a focus on the history of Palestine .
During his service in the Israeli Armed Forces , he was military governor five times. Elpeleg was a member of the Avoda Central Committee and was part of the Israeli delegation to Israeli-Palestinian peace talks. From 1972 he worked as a senior researcher at the Moshe Dayan Center of Tel Aviv University . He interrupted this activity in 1995 when he became ambassador to Turkey for two years .
Elpeleg was married twice. His second wife was the poet Michal Snunit .
- The 1936-1939 Disturbances: Riot or Rebellion? published in The Wiener Bulletin (1967)
- Why Was 'Independent Palestine' Never Created in 1948? published in The Jerusalem Quartely (1989)
- Elpeleg, Zvi; Himelstein, Shmuel: The Grand Mufti: Haj Amin Al-Hussaini, Founder of the Palestinian National Movement (1993)
- Ḥusaynī, Amīn; Elpeleg, Zvi: Through the eyes of the Mufti: the essays of Haj Amin, translated and annotated (2009)
- ↑ In Memory of Dr. Zvi Elpeleg . ( Memento of the original from August 13, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. In: dayan.org , Tel Aviv University (English).
- ↑ Herz, Dietmar; Jetzlsperger, Christian; Ahlborn, Kai (ed.): The Israeli-Palestinian conflict: Backgrounds, dimensions and perspectives (2003).
- ↑ Elpeleg, Zvi: Respect their philosophy of survival . In: mediamonitors.net (English).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Israeli Arabist and politician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Baranów , Poland|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 27, 2015|