Alain Robert (born August 7, 1962 in Digoin ) is a French free climber who is also known outside of the climbing scene as Spiderman because he has climbed numerous buildings in the " free solo " style .
In January and September 1982, Robert had serious accidents when he fell 15 meters into the depths - first when a loop tearing the top rope was torn , then when a knot came undone while abseiling. Although he was certified as having a 66 percent disability and predicted that he would never be able to climb again, he did so again six months later.
Robert has already scaled more than 70 skyscrapers and monuments around the world, including the Eiffel Tower , the Empire State Building in New York in 1994 and, on December 25, 2004, the 508 meter high Taipei 101 skyscraper in four hours . In 1997 and 2007, Robert tried to climb the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur , but was arrested both times at the 60th floor. In early September 2009, Robert reached the top of the Petronas Towers, but was later sentenced in a trial to either pay a fine of 2,000 Malaysian ringgit (around 500 euros) or serve a two-month prison term for his action, which was classified as illegal . Robert accepted the fine to be paid.
On September 8, 1999, Robert tried to climb the Grande Arche in Paris, but failed and had to be rescued from the building wall by the Paris fire brigade in a spectacular rescue operation. On May 18, 2007, he climbed the 106-meter-high debis-Haus in Berlin and only two weeks later, on May 31, 2007, the comparatively easy-to-climb 421-meter-high Jin Mao Tower in Shanghai.
Alain Robert was expelled from China on November 13, 2007 for illegally climbing a skyscraper. Five days later he was climbing again legally in China. Robert was invited by a local tour operator for this. He climbed Tianmen Mountain in central China on November 18th .
Alain Robert climbs not only for sporting reasons, but also as part of events. The greatest success in this regard was the ascent of the National Bank in Abu Dhabi on February 21, 2003 with over 100,000 spectators. For the Education without borders 2007 conference , which took place in Abu Dhabi from February 25 to 27, 2007, he climbed the New Adia Tower on February 23, 2007 .
On June 6, 2008, Alain Robert climbed the New York Times building in the heart of Manhattan and halfway opened a banner warning of the consequences of global warming . The banner read that due to global warming, more people die every week than in the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001 . As in Malaysia in 2007, he was arrested shortly afterwards by the New York police waiting on the roof of the building.
He unrolled the same banner on July 7, 2008 when he climbed the Skyper tower in Frankfurt am Main. When climbing the Cheung Kong Center in Hong Kong on February 17, 2009, he wore a t-shirt related to global warming.
Robert wants to continue as long as his physical condition allows him. “I like my way of life. I travel all over the world and what I do allows me to live, ”explained Robert, who is married with three children and lives in the town of Pézenas in the south of France .
In 2009 Alain Robert was seen in the documentary The Spider Man . Before that, he was in the documentary Jeremy Clarkson meets the neighbors: France .
On March 28, 2011, he conquered the tallest building in the world, the 828-meter-high Burj Khalifa in Dubai, this time with rope protection due to requirements.
On September 28, 2019, Robert climbed the Skyper high-rise in Frankfurt am Main again without permission, within 20 minutes, and then down again.
- Alain Robert: With bare hands . Berlin: Ullstein 1999. ISBN 3-548-31221-7
- Alain Robert's website ( Memento of the original from November 28, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Heinz Zak : Rock Stars - The world's best free climbers . Bergverlag Rother , Munich 1995, ISBN 3-7633-7040-4 , p. 107 ff.
- Facade climbers climb Petronas towers Spiegel Online from September 1, 2009
- http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=3&art_id=qw936800460790B216 ( Memento from October 18, 2015 in the Internet Archive )
- Heavenly (sic!) And underground: Alain Robert Die Welt from November 16, 2007
- French "Spiderman" climbs on the skyscraper Münchner Merkur from February 17, 2009
- Spiderman. Retrieved March 29, 2011 .
- Climbing marathon: Spiderman climbs the highest tower in the world. In: Spiegel Online . March 29, 2011, accessed March 29, 2011 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||French facade climber|
|DATE OF BIRTH||7th August 1962|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Digoin|