Alexander "Alex" Grossmann , also Alexandre Grossman (born August 5, 1930 in Zagreb ; † February 12, 2019 ) was a Yugoslav-French physicist who, with Jean Morlet, was a pioneer of wavelets in the early 1980s , especially wavelet transformation (CWT).
He left Yugoslavia in 1955, where he was at the Ruđer Bošković Institute, and studied theoretical physics at Harvard University . He was a theoretical physicist at the Center de Physique Théorique des CNRS and the University of the Mediterranean Aix-Marseille II in Luminy since the 1960s . In the 1970s he worked there several times with Ingrid Daubechies , who was working on her doctoral thesis at the Free University of Brussels. Morlet turned to Grossmann (on the recommendation of his former student colleague Roger Balian ) in order to obtain a mathematical basis for the empirically found possibility of developing and reconstructing signals with wavelets.
In addition, he dealt with many areas of physics, from solid-state physics and signal processing to gravity.
In 1997 he received the first Prix Special of the French Physical Society. From 2009 he was a full member of the Academia Europaea .
- Matthias Holschneider, Ginette Saracco (Editor) Perspectives in Mathematical Physics. Conference in the Honor of Alex Grossmann , Marseille-Luminy, July 28 - August 1, 1997, CNRS (with contributions by Ingrid Daubechies, Daniel Kastler , Henri Bacry , Ronald Coifman , Raymond Stora , André Martin , Jean-Claude Risset , among others , Hans-Jürgen Borchers , John Madore , Joseph Avron , Gianfausto Dell'Antonio )
- Editor with JM Combes, Ph. Tchamitchian: Wavelets , Springer Verlag 1990.
- with P. Goupillaud, J. Morlet: Cycle-Octave and Related Transforms in Seismic Signal Analysis , Geoexploration, Volume 23, 1984, pp. 85-102 (Wavelet Transformation).
- with J. Morlet: Decomposition of Hardy functions into square integrable wavelets of constant shape , SIAM J. Math. Analysis, Volume 15, 1984, pp. 723-276.
- with J. Morlet, T. Paul: Transforms associated to square integrable group representations , 2 parts, J. Math. Phys., Volume 26, 1985, pp. 2473-2479, Ann. Inst. Henri Poincaré, Volume 45, 1986, pp. 293-309.
- Marie Farge, Grossmann, Yves Meyer, Thierry Paul, Jean Claude Risset, Ginette Saracco, Bruno Torrésani: Les Ondelettes et le CIRM, SMF Gazette January 2012, pdf
- Place of birth and place of study according to Jacques Hymans Achieving nuclear ambitions: Scientists, Politicians and Proliferation , Cambridge University Press 2012, p. 186, he interviewed Grossmann
- Date of birth according to VIAF
- Prize winners of the SFP
- members: Alexander Grossmann. Academia Europaea, accessed September 4, 2017 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Grossmann, Alexander (full name); Grossman, Alexandre|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Yugoslav-French physicist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||5th August 1930|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zagreb|
|DATE OF DEATH||February 12, 2019|