Alexander Hugo Bakker Korff
Alexander Bakker Korff, the son of the lawyer and politician Johannes Bakker-Korff (1789–1869) and his wife Neeltje Stark (* 1794 in Amsterdam), first learned his trade in his hometown with Cornelis Kruseman and Huib van Hove (1814–1864 ). Then he went to the Koninklijke Academie voor Schone Kunsten van Antwerpen , where he studied with Gustave Wappers and Nicaise de Keyser .
In 1856 Alexander Bakker Korff settled in Leiden, broke with the academic painting tradition and henceforth almost exclusively portrayed elderly women - in contemporary, middle-class costumes. The carefully painted costumes of those women and sometimes the witty title of the picture made him popular. On the back of his picture Under the Palm , for example, he quoted Heine :
- We want to sink down there
- Under the palm tree.
Alexander Bakker Korff was part of the Pulchri Studio . His students included Dirk Leonardus Kooreman (1857–1898), Jan Hendrik van Rossum du Chattel (1820–1878), Elias Stark (1849–1933), Jan Jacob Zuidema Broos (1833–1882) and Mathilde Tonnet (1843–1926) .
Alexander Bakker Korff had two siblings - Ada Margaretha and Johannes.
Museums with works by Bakker Korff:
- Rijksmuseum Amsterdam
- Teylers Museum in Haarlem
- Dordrechts Museum in Dordrecht
- Museum De Lakenhal in Leiden
- Frans Hals Museum in Haarlem.
- In 1870 the Belgian Order of Leopold after a successful exhibition in Brussels
- Alexander-Bakker-Korff-Strasse in Leiden
- Bakker-Korff, Alexander Hugo . In: Ulrich Thieme , Felix Becker (Hrsg.): General Lexicon of Fine Artists from Antiquity to the Present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker. tape 2 : Antonio da Monza-Bassan . Wilhelm Engelmann, Leipzig 1908, p. 381 ( Textarchiv - Internet Archive ).
- Bakker-Korff, Alexander Hugo . In: General Artist Lexicon . The visual artists of all times and peoples (AKL). Volume 6, Saur, Munich a. a. 1992, ISBN 3-598-22746-9 , p. 365.
- Johannes Bakker-Korff in the Biographical Portal of the Netherlands ; † Johannes Bakker-Korff .
- Neeltje Stark .
- Heinrich Heine: Poems in the Gutenberg-DE project
- Dirk Leonardus Kooreman in the Biographical Portal of the Netherlands
- Mathilde Tonnet in the Biographical Portal of the Netherlands .
|SURNAME||Bakker Korff, Alexander Hugo|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Dutch painter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 31, 1824|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||The hague|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 28, 1882|
|Place of death||Suffer|