Old electoral high school in Bensheim
|Old electoral high school in Bensheim|
|type of school||high school|
The Old Electoral High School ( AKG for short ) is the oldest high school in Bensheim on the Hessian Bergstrasse . It goes back to a teaching institution founded by Elector Anselm Franz von Ingelheim in 1686 .
Since the end of 2016, the AKG has been headed by Nicola Wölbern, who is the first woman to head the school as director. Before that, Karlheinz Wecht was headmaster for almost 10 years from 2007.
The current school building, inaugurated in 1911, combines elements of the Renaissance and Baroque styles . It is a listed building and is located in the middle of a large garden with old trees, which, however, has been significantly reduced in size due to construction work as part of the new "campus concept". In the 1970s, a modern new building with specialist rooms for the natural sciences was attached to the old building . In the 1980s the schoolhouse was completely renovated and an additional sports hall was built. Since the rooms in the new building were too small for the large class sizes, it was expanded in 2004. In November 2005 the new halls were inaugurated. In the 2004/2005 school year, part of the attic of the grammar school was expanded so that the AKG now has a theater hall with 120 seats. The construction of a cafeteria began in the 2009/2010 school year and was completed in November 2010. Now the AKG students can have lunch there and stay outside of class times. Furthermore, the construction of a sports hall on the school premises was completed in 2012. A new scientific wing was completed and inaugurated in 2017. The main building is currently being completely renovated. Among other things, the old gym was converted into a modern library, which was opened in 2019.
In a bilingual branch, around 30 percent of the students receive English-language lessons in geography, history, politics and economics (from 8th grade). Politics and business can be completed with a bilingual Abitur examination.
Since the school year 2009/10 the AKG has been a school with pedagogical lunch care .
With the 2015/16 school year, the school returned to the nine-year grammar school (G9).
- First foreign language (5th grade): Latin or English
- Second foreign language (7th grade): English (if Latin was the first foreign language); Latin or French (if English was the first foreign language)
- Third foreign language as an optional subject (9th grade): Italian , Spanish , Ancient Greek, Latin or French.
In addition to the compulsory elective courses, there are various working groups at the AKG in which the students can participate. Examples are:
- in the musical field: five choirs, two orchestras and a big band; Theater groups (German, English, French)
- In the social area, the SV projects: school companion (since 2001) and school medical service (since 2008)
- various scientific working groups such as a Biotop AG or a Chemie AG
- Student Council.
- Event-AG (event technology)
- United States : Menomonee Falls High School, Menomonee Falls
- France : Lycée du Clos-Maire, Beaune
- Italy : Liceo Andrea Maffei, Riva del Garda
- Spain : Colegio Internacional Europa, Seville
The historically valuable files of the school are kept in the Hessian State Archives in Darmstadt (inventory H 54 Bensheim D). The oldest written records in the inventory go back to 1804. The annual journals, which have existed since 1825, a war diary from the First World War, and the minutes of the teachers' council from the Weimar period bring the school's past to life. A school chronicle illustrates the developments in the 1930s and 1940s. The documents submitted include lists of censorship and certificates since the 19th century, which show the student population, as well as school-leaving certificates, which at the beginning of the 20th century were still provided with passport photos of high school graduates. The holdings, whose records are unusually dense compared to other school archives, have been indexed and researched on the Internet.
- Echo Newspapers GmbH: For the first time a woman at the head of the AKG . ( echo-online.de [accessed on January 1, 2017]).
- Overview of the holdings "Bensheim: Altes Kurfürstliches Gymnasium (H 54 Bensheim D)" archive information system Hessen. Retrieved January 7, 2015