Altice USA (formerly Cablevision ) is an American media company. Cablevision is the fifth largest cable television company in the country and in 25th place in the international ranking of media groups. In September 2015, the Dutch company Altice (renamed Altice Europe since then ) announced the takeover of Cablevision for 17.7 billion US dollars ; After the takeover, Altice listed its American activities again in 2017 as an independent sister company under the control of joint shareholder Patrick Drahi under the name Altice USA.
Chairman is Charles Dolan, President and CEO is James L. Dolan. The Dolan family is also the main owner with a share of around 20% and over 70% of the voting rights. Charles F. Dolan was also the founder of the TV channel HBO , which is now part of Time Warner . See also Charles F. Dolan School of Business .
Cablevision employs about 20,000 people and achieved a turnover of 7.23 billion dollars in 2008 (previous year 6.48 billion), but made a loss of 225.57 million dollars (previous year: 218.89 million dollars in profit), which was mainly due to the takeover of the New York regional newspaper Newsday is returned. The operating result was (previous year: 911,070,000) at 689.68 million US dollars.
In June 2010, Cablevision signed an agreement to acquire industry colleague Bresnan Communications for approximately $ 1.4 billion.
- iO Digital Cable (digital television provider): Cablevision delivered cable television to 3.325 million households in 2008 (around 15,000 fewer than in the previous year).
- Via its subsidiary Rainbow Media , Cablevision holds shares in the cable television networks AMC (86,000 subscribers), IFC (49,000) and WEtv (61,000). The Sundance Channel (over 30,000 subscribers) was taken over in 2008. Via the subsidiary Madison Square Garden LP, MSG Media division, the music channel group fuse TV as well as the sports channels MSG Network and MSG Plus also belong to Cablevision.
- Optimum Online (broadband Internet): over 2.4 million customers (2008).
- Optimum Voice ( VoIP telephony): almost 1.9 million customers (2008).
- Optimum Lightpath (business customer division)
- News 12 Networks (news channels)
- Newsday (regional newspaper ; online edition only available for a fee)
Event real estate
The subsidiary Madison Square Garden LP owns and operates Madison Square Garden in New York and has leased Radio City Music Hall , the Beacon Theater , built on Broadway in the 1920s, and the Chicago Theater .
A division of MSG LP, MSG Entertainment , produces various shows and events in these and other houses, including with the dance ensemble The Rockettes .
Cablevision owns the New York Knicks (basketball), New York Rangers (ice hockey), New York Liberty (women's basketball) and Hartford Wolf Pack (ice hockey) teams through its subsidiary Madison Square Garden LP (MSG Sports division ).
- Archive link ( Memento of the original dated May 9, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Cablevision buys Bresnan for $ 1.4 billion