Andreas Wirsching studied history and Protestant theology in Berlin and Erlangen from 1977 to 1984 . In 1984 he obtained his master's degree. In 1988 he received his doctorate from the University of Erlangen. Wirsching was a research fellow at the German Historical Institute in Paris (1989–1992) and at the Institute for Contemporary History in Munich (1992–1996). In 1995 he received his habilitation in modern and modern history at the University of Regensburg . From 1996 to 1998 Wirsching taught as professor for modern and contemporary history of Western Europe at the University of Tübingen . From 1998 to 2011 he taught modern and contemporary history at the University of Augsburg . Wirsching held the Otto von Freising guest professorship at the Catholic University of Eichstätt in the 2002/03 winter semester . Since April 1, 2011, he has been teaching as Professor of Modern History at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich and has also been the director of the Institute for Contemporary History, succeeding Horst Möller .
Wirsching's main research interests are comparative German and French history in the 20th century, the history of Paris in modern times, the history of the Weimar Republic , the history of communism, fascism and National Socialism from 1918 to 1945, German and European history since the 1970s as well as the history and theory of modernity.
In 2010 Wirsching was appointed to the Board of Trustees of the Foundation for German Humanities Institutes Abroad (DGIA). Wirsching has been Deputy Chairman of the Commission for the History of Parliamentarism and Political Parties since 2012 . He is also a member of the historical commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences . From 2011 to 2017 he was Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Historisches Kolleg . In February 2012, the Bavarian Academy of Sciences elected him a member. Wirsching is a member of the Association of Historians in Germany .
- Democracy and globalization. Europe since 1989. Beck, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-406-66699-5 .
- The price of freedom. History of Europe in our time. Beck, Munich 2012, ISBN 978-3-406-63252-5 .
- Farewell to the temporary solution. 1982–1990 (= History of the Federal Republic of Germany. Vol. 6). Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt et al., Munich 2006, ISBN 3-421-06737-6 ( review ).
- Agrarian protest and family crisis. Two attempts at the history of modernism (= Otto von Freising lectures at the Catholic University of Eichstätt-Ingolstadt. Vol. 23). VS Verlag, Wiesbaden 2004, ISBN 3-531-14274-7 .
- with Stefan Grüner : France. Data, facts, documents (= UTB , 2401, history ). Francke, Tübingen et al. 2003, ISBN 3-8252-2401-5 .
- German history in the 20th century (= Beck'sche Reihe. CH Beck Wissen , 2165). Beck, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-406-44765-1 (3rd edition, ibid 2011, ISBN 978-3-406-44765-5 ; 4th edition, ibid 2018, ISBN 978-3-406-72427-5 ) .
- The Weimar Republic. Politics and Society (= Encyclopedia of German History . Vol. 58). Oldenbourg, Munich 2000, ISBN 3-486-55048-9 (2nd edition expanded by a supplement, ibid 2008, ISBN 978-3-486-58736-4 ; review ).
- From world war to civil war? Political extremism in Germany and France 1918–1933 / 39. Berlin and Paris in comparison (= sources and representations on contemporary history. Vol. 40). Oldenbourg, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-486-56357-2 .
- Parliament and the people vote. House of Commons and the public in England in the early 19th century (= publications of the German Historical Institute, London. Vol. 26). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen et al. 1990, ISBN 3-525-36311-7 .
- with Frank Bösch : Keeper of Order. The interior ministries in Bonn and East Berlin after National Socialism , Wallstein-Verlag, Göttingen 2018, ISBN 978-3-8353-3206-5 .
- with Berthold Kohler and Ulrich Wilhelm: Weimar conditions? Historical lessons for our democracy. Reclam, Ditzingen 2018, ISBN 978-3-15-011163-5 .
- with Jürgen Zarusky , Alexander Tschubarjan and Viktor Ischtschenko: memories of dictatorship and war. Focal points of cultural memory between Russia and Germany. De Gruyter Oldenburg, Berlin / Boston, Massachusetts 2015, ISBN 978-3-11-040476-0 .
- with Jürgen Finger , Sven Keller : Dr. Oetker and National Socialism. History of a family business 1933–1945. Beck, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-406-64545-7 .
- The year 1933. The National Socialist conquest of power and German society. Wallstein-Verlag, Göttingen 2009, ISBN 978-3-8353-0512-0 .
- with Thomas Raithel and Andreas Rödder : On the way to a new modern age? The Federal Republic of Germany in the seventies and eighties. Oldenbourg, Munich 2009, ISBN 978-3-486-59004-3 .
- with Jürgen Eder: Reasonable Republicanism in the Weimar Republic. Politics, literature, science (= Bundespräsident-Theodor-Heuss-Haus Foundation. Scientific series. Vol. 9). Steiner, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 978-3-515-09110-7 .
- Challenges of Parliamentary Democracy. The Weimar Republic in European comparison (= series of publications of the Reichspräsident-Friedrich-Ebert-Gedenkstätte Foundation. Vol. 13). Oldenbourg, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-486-58337-3 .
- Oldenbourg history textbook. Latest time. Oldenbourg, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-486-20029-1 (2nd edition, ibid. 2008, ISBN 978-3-486-20029-4 ; review ).
- with Horst Möller and Gérard Raulet : Middle Endangered? Middle classes and political culture between the world wars: Italy, France and Germany (= Francia . Supplements 29). Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1993, ISBN 3-7995-7329-1 ( online at perspectivia.net ).
- Andreas Wirsching. In: Bavarian Academy of Sciences , Yearbook 2012, Munich 2013, p. 193 f.
- Who is who? The German Who's Who. L. Edition 2011/12, p. 1281 f.
- Literature by and about Andreas Wirsching in the catalog of the German National Library
- Site of Wirsching at the University of Munich (LMU)
- Page from Wirsching at the Institute for Contemporary History
- Otto von Freising guest professorship
- Critical online edition of the diaries of Michael Cardinal von Faulhaber (1911–1952).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 19, 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Heidelberg|