Antonio da Sangallo the Younger
Antonio da Sangallo the Younger (actually Antonio di Bartolomeo Cordini , born April 12, 1484 in Florence , † August 3, 1546 in Terni ) was an Italian architect and fortress builder of the Renaissance .
Sangallo came from a famous family of architects and was the nephew of Antonio da Sangallo the Elder and Giuliano da Sangallo . In 1503 he followed Giuliano da Sangallo to Rome, where he later enjoyed the favor of various popes . He was initially an employee of Raffael and Donato Bramante , who employed him in the execution of the dome pillars of St. Peter in Rome.
From 1520 he worked as a freelance architect and after the death of Raphael became his successor as builder at St. Peter. From 1539 he worked there as a leading architect. He was one of the most respected and busiest architects in Rome.
Sangallos buildings presented themselves in the style of the High Renaissance , but showed the first characteristics of the early Baroque . His plans for the Palazzo Farnese conceived this as the first city palace with a uniaxial orientation. The design of its inner courtyard is one of the most important achievements of Italian Renaissance architecture.
- Santa Maria di Monserrato in Rome , from 1518
- Santa Maria di Loreto in Rome , from 1522
- Fortezza da Basso in Florence , 1534
- Palazzo Farnese in Rome , started in 1534.
- Cappella Paolina in the Vatican (1534–40), draft of the interior
- Santo Spirito in Sassia in Rome , 1538–45
- Palazzo Sacchetti in Rome, (begun in 1542)
- Scala Regia between St. Peter's Basilica and the Sistine Chapel
- Santa Maria sopra Minerva Reconstruction of the main chapel
- Pozzo di San Patrizio (large well construction in Orvieto), 1537
- Sangallo, Antonio da, d. Young. In: Hans Vollmer (Hrsg.): General lexicon of fine artists from antiquity to the present . Founded by Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker . tape 29 : Rosa – Scheffauer . EA Seemann, Leipzig 1935, p. 403-404 .
- Margit Brinke: Antonio da Sangallo the Younger. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 8, Bautz, Herzberg 1994, ISBN 3-88309-053-0 , Sp. 1322-1325.
- Points in time . In: Damals, the current history ( ), 28th year 1996, No. 8, p. 53 f.
- Francesco Menchetti: Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and the Building Site of the Citadel of Ancona. (PDF) In: Karl-Eugen Kurrer , Werner Lorenz , Volker Wetzk (Eds.): Proceedings of the Third International Congress on Construction History . Neunplus, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-936033-31-1 , pp. 1019-1024.
- Entry in Great Buildings (English)
- Back then. The current history magazine. Vol. 28, No. 8, 1996, p. 54.
|SURNAME||Sangallo, Antonio da the younger|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||di Bartolomeo Cordini, Antonio|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian architect|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 12, 1484|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Florence|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 3, 1546|
|Place of death||Terni|