Bernhard Greiner studied at the Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg and the Christian Albrechts University of Kiel the subjects German , philosophy , political science and history . In 1968 he passed the state examination in Freiburg; In 1971 he received his doctorate from the University of Freiburg. In 1979 he completed his habilitation, also in Freiburg, and became Professor of Modern German Literature there in 1981. In 1989 he was appointed to the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen , where he taught until his retirement in 2008. In 1993 he turned down a call to the University of Kiel. From 2000 to 2002 he held the Walter Benjamin Chair for German-Jewish Literature and Cultural History at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem . In addition, he held numerous visiting professorships: at the University of Virginia , Charlottesville, USA (1985 and 1987), at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (1992/93 and 1998), at Washington University , St. Louis, USA (1995) , at Monash University , Melbourne, Australia (1996), at the University of Melbourne (1999), at the University of New South Wales , Sydney (2004), at Renmin University Beijing (2005), and again at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Spring 2008) and the Max Kade Professorship at the University of California Davis (Fall 2008).
- Friedrich Nietzsche. Trial and temptation in his aphorisms , Munich (Wilhelm Fink) 1972.
- From allegory to idyll. The literature of the working world in the GDR , Heidelberg (Quelle & Meyer) 1977.
- World theater as montage. Representation of reality and reader reference in romantic and modern literature , Heidelberg (Quelle & Meyer) 1977.
- Literature of the GDR in a new perspective. Studies and Interpretations , Bern, Frankfurt, New York (Peter Lang) 1986.
- The comedy. A theatrical broadcast: Basics and Interpretations , Tübingen (Francke) 1992.
- Kind of madness. Seal in Kant's Horizon. Studies on Goethe and Kleist , Bonn (Erich Schmidt) 1994.
- Kleist's dramas and stories. Experiments on the "fall" of art , Tübingen (Francke) 2000.
- Circumcision of the heart. Constellations of German-Jewish Literature , Munich (Wilhelm Fink) 2004.
- The comedy. A theatrical broadcast: Fundamentals and interpretations , Tübingen (Francke) 2006.
- The tragedy. A literary history of the upright gait. Basics and interpretations (= Kröner's pocket edition . Volume 340). Kröner, Stuttgart 2012, ISBN 978-3-520-34001-6 .
- Literature by Bernhard Greiner in the catalog of the German National Library
- Own website
- Complete list of publications
- Academic career. In: bernhard-greiner.de. Retrieved July 1, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German literary scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 17, 1943|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Landsberg am Lech|