|Genre (s)||Pagan metal|
All instruments / vocals
|Markus "Widar" Christensen|
Bilskirnir was founded in 1996 by Widar as a solo project in Remagen in northern Rhineland-Palatinate . Bilskirnir is the name of one of the twelve palaces of Asgard and the residence of the god Thor from Norse mythology . Widar founded several pagan / black metal projects before, including Crucifixion Wounds, Evil, Ødelegger.
Bilskirnir first achieved notoriety in the German NSBM scene in 1998, when the band was featured in the fanzine " Black Metal Almanach" , which came from the absurd environment. Here Widar positioned himself nationalist , patriotic and anti-Christian.
Hendrik Möbus was involved in the production of the demo CD ... until Germania awakens and wrote the text for the song Der Rabengott . In 2001 Bilskirnir released a cover version of Allvater Wotan of the Berlin right-wing rock band Landser on the Feuerzauber demo .
The project is supported by several labels (including No Colors Records and Perverted Taste ) and for a time was considered the most productive band in the German pagan black metal underground with numerous releases, including four demos , eight split releases , several EPs and albums , mostly with strict limitations. The 2013 released album Wotan Redivivus was released on the NSBM label Darker Than Black Records . Bilskirnir's releases are sold in numerous online shops by various metal record companies. In Solitary Silence , released in 2018, is an EP with previously unreleased tracks that have been in production for years and, according to Widar, act as the link between the albums Wotansvolk and Wotan Redivivus .
Bilskirnir's music is described on the debut album In Flames of Purification as raw yet somehow melodic, much like the early works of Graveland and Burzum . In a review of Wotan Redivivus , the style is described as average and very melodic Black Metal, which is just as threatening and dangerous as the albums by Woods of Desolation or The Cult . In addition, comparisons were made to the sound of Katatonia , of which Bilskirnir had already covered two songs.
With regard to Black Metal , Christensen explained that this music is one of the most extreme art forms of our time and emphasized that modern Black Metal in particular has shown what makes it what it is and what distinguishes it from other forms of music. In Black Metal, art and worldview merge into a whole. As an example he cited the Norwegian musician Varg Vikernes and the church arson foundations , which are a main fascination for this music and its movement. Vikernes is also the main source of inspiration for him, from which he derives his worldview.
Christensen, who trades under the pseudonym Widar , describes his worldview as the belief in the superiority of his race over other races due to creative power and intellectual superiority. Black metal is music that can only be played by “whites”. In addition, he sees himself as a pagan , as his enemy he primarily understands Christianity, but also the other Abrahamic religions .
Kirsten Dyck described Bilskirnir in her book Reichsrock: The International Web of White-Power and Neo-Nazi Hate Music as a musical spearhead of the German NSBM, although the lyrics have no concrete political-ideological references.
- 1997: For Victory We Ride ( MC ; in-house production)
- 2000: Until Germania awakens (MC; Bøddel Productions, Silencelike Death Productions)
- 2001: Feuerzauber (MC; Hellflame Productions)
- 2002: forefathers (MC; Wunjo Kunstschmiede Germanien)
- 2002: In Flames of Purification (CD / LP / MC; Tanhu Records, Perverted Taste)
- 2003: Atavism of Faith (CD / MC / LP; Nykta, Perverted Taste) Republished in 2009 via Nykta.
- 2007: Wotansvolk (CD / LP / MC; Wotanstahl Klangschmiede, Hammer Of Damnation , hour of ideal productions )
- 2013: Wotan Redivivus (CD / LP; Darker Than Black Records )
- 2001: For the Return of Paganism ( 7 " ; Hellflame Productions)
- 2004: Ahnenerbe (CD / 12 " / MC; Nykta, Einsatzkommando Productions, Old Pride Records)
- 2005: Hyperborea (CD / 12 "; Solistitium Records / Millenium Metal Records, Ancient Nation)
- 2006: Wolfswut (7 "; Wotanstahl Klangschmiede / Obscure Abhorrence Productions)
- 2009: Totenheer (MC; Hour Des Ideals Productions)
- 2011: Towards the Enemy (CD; Dark Hidden Productions)
- 2012: Der Wolkenwanderer (7 "; Darker Than Black Records)
- 2018: In Solitary Silence (CD / MC; Darker Than Black Records)
- 2002: For the Return of Paganism / Kard, Kereszt, Korona with Szálasi (7 "; Regimental Records)
- 2003: Die Wacht / Take Me The Light with Nordreich (7 "/ MC; Perverted Taste)
- 2003: Army of the dead / battering ram with Finsterwald (CD; Millenium Metal Music)
- 2007: Allied By Heathen Blood with Hunok (7 "/ MC; Tanhu Records, Wotanstahl Klangschmiede)
- 2008: German-Southern Brotherhood with Evil (CD / MC; Tanhu Records, Flammentod Productions Teutschland, Thor's Hammer Productions)
- 2009: Under the Sign of the Hammer with Evil and Pantheon (7 "; Darker Than Black Records)
- 2011: Lost Forever / Suicide with Barad Dûr (7 "; Tanhu Records)
- 2012: Day / Nightly Kingdoms with Marblebog (7 "; Turanian Honor Productions)
- 2015: ... And The Birds Chant Died With The Light / Hidden Black Wisdom with Front Beast (7 "; Darker Than Black Records)
- 2011: Weltenbrand (7 "; self-distribution)
- 2017: Lost Forever (CD; Darker Than Black Records)
- 2001: For Victory We Ride ... until Germania awakens (MC; Beverina Productions)
- 2004: Furor Teutonicus (CD; Solistitium Records / Millenium Metal Music)
- 2016: Hammerschlag (1996 - 2002) (2xCD / 3xLP; Neue Ästhetik / Purity Through Fire)
- 2013: In Flames Of Purification / Totenheer (CD; Darker Than Black Records)
- 2017: Totenheer / Dem Feind Gegen gegen (LP; Darker Than Black Records)
- Rainer Fromm: Black-brown music networks. Federal Agency for Civic Education , December 19, 2007, accessed on December 9, 2018 .
- Christian Dornbusch , Hans-Peter Killguss: Unheilige Alliances . Black Metal between Satanism, Paganism and Neo-Nazism. Unrast Verlag, Münster 2005, ISBN 3-89771-817-0 . P. 63
- Allfather Wotan. In: Discogs. Retrieved December 10, 2018 .
- Christian Dornbusch , Hans-Peter Killguss: Unheilige Alliances . Black Metal between Satanism, Paganism and Neo-Nazism. Unrast Verlag, Münster 2005, ISBN 3-89771-817-0 . P. 283
- Christian Dornbusch , Hans-Peter Killguss: Unheilige Alliances . Black Metal between Satanism, Paganism and Neo-Nazism. Unrast Verlag, Münster 2005, ISBN 3-89771-817-0 . P. 184f.
- Clemens Schaap: Bilskirnir - Wotan Redivivus. Markzware Metalen, October 6, 2013, accessed December 9, 2018 (Dutch).
- Bilskirnir - "In Solitary Silence" - Review. Black Metal Germania, December 8, 2018, accessed December 9, 2018 .
- BILSKIRNIR - WOTAN REDIVIVUS LP (Darker Than Black). blackmetalreviews.com, August 25, 2014, accessed December 9, 2018 .
- Christian Dornbusch , Hans-Peter Killguss: Unheilige Alliances . Black Metal between Satanism, Paganism and Neo-Nazism. Unrast Verlag, Münster 2005, ISBN 3-89771-817-0 . P. 120
- Kirsten Dyck: Empire Rock: The International Web of white power and neo-Nazi Love Music . Rutgers University Press, New Brunswick , New Jersey 2017, ISBN 978-0-8135-7470-7 , pp. 47 : “Beginning with the late 1990s, a growing German National Socialist black metal (NSBM) scene developed in response to the Norwegian NSBM of the early 1990s, spearheaded by bands like Absurd, Eugenik (eugenics), Totenburg (deadly castle), Bilskirnir (named after the hall of the Scandinavian god Thor) [...]. "