Christian Gottlieb Geyser
Christian Gottlieb Geyser (born August 20, 1742 in Görlitz , † March 24, 1803 in Eutritzsch ) was a German painter and engraver .
Christian Gottlieb Geyser was the son of the theologian and deacon of the Görlitz Petrikirche Gottfried Geyser and brother of Samuel Gottfried Geyser . He began studying law at the University of Leipzig in 1761 , but at the same time took art lessons from Adam Friedrich Oeser and is considered his most successful student. When Oeser became the first director of the newly founded Leipzig Art Academy in 1764 , he hired Geyser as an assistant teacher for copperplate engraving .
Geyser became self-employed as a book illustrator in 1770 and became a member of the Dresden Academy in the same year . The following year, on March 17, 1771, he also became a full member of the Leipzig Academy with a fee of 100 thalers.
In 1773 Daniel Chodowiecki visited Geyser in Leipzig; The visit resulted in a long-term friendship between the two important engravers. Geyser became a member of the Upper Lusatian Society of Sciences in 1780 , and in 1788 he took part in the Dresden art exhibition.
On November 29, 1787 he married Adam Friedrich Oeser's daughter Wilhelmine. His success as an artist - he was the most important illustrator for first editions by authors such as Goethe and Wieland - enabled Geyser in 1789 to acquire an estate in Eutritzsch near Leipzig (Gräfestraße 25), which he moved into with his family in 1792. His son, Gottlieb Wilhelm Geyser (1789–1865) later settled there as a graphic artist and built a studio. The building now serves as a socio-cultural center under the name GeyserHaus .
Christian Gottlieb Geyser died in 1803 of a stroke while walking. His collection of engravings was auctioned in October 1804.
- Carl Clauß: Geyser, Christian Gottlieb . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 9, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1879, p. 138.
- New Year's Sheets of the Library and Archives of the City of Leipzig , JB Hirschfeld, Leipzig 1906
- ↑ Timo John: Adam Friedrich Oeser 1717–1799. Study of an artist of sensitivity. In: Goethezeitportal. Retrieved January 8, 2019 .
- ↑ Horst Riedel: Stadtlexikon Leipzig from A to Z . Ed .: PRO LEIPZIG. 2nd Edition. Leipzig 2012, ISBN 978-3-936508-03-1 , pp. 183 .
- ^ Directory of the copper engraving collection of the late CG Geyser . Rostische Kunsthandlung, Leipzig 1804
|SURNAME||Geyser, Christian Gottlieb|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Geyser, Christian Theophilus|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German painter and engraver|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 20, 1742|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Goerlitz|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 24, 1803|
|Place of death||Eutritzsch|