Collin Walcott (born February 24, 1945 in New York City , New York; † November 8, 1984 near Magdeburg , GDR ) was an American percussionist and sitar player . He was one of the pioneers of ethnic jazz .
Walcott studied (non-European) music at Indiana University in Bloomington , Indiana , and the University of California, Los Angeles . He also learned the sitar with Ravi Shankar and used it in the context of jazz and improvised music . He studied tabla with Alla Rakha .
Between 1967 and 1969 he was part of Tony Scott's group and also worked with Tim Hardin . In 1970 he became a member of the Paul Winter Consort . Together with his colleagues there Ralph Towner , Paul McCandless and bassist Glen Moore , he founded the group Oregon in 1971 . He also worked in the ensemble of the composer Meredith Monk . He later founded the Codona group together with Don Cherry and Naná Vasconcelos , in which he developed an early synthesis of Indian, African and Latin American music based on jazz. Due to his sensitive percussion work, especially on the tablas , and his sitar playing, he was also in great demand as a studio musician (e.g. by Richie Havens , Miles Davis , U2 , Larry Coryell , David Darling or Jim Pepper ).
Walcott died in an accident on an East German motorway while touring with Oregon .
- Cloud Dance CD (1976) ECM
- Grazing Dreams CD (1977) ECM
- Works (compilation) CD (1994) ECM
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz music. 1700 artists and bands from the beginning until today. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 1999, ISBN 3-476-01584-X .
- Leonard Feather , Ira Gitler : The Biographical Encyclopedia of Jazz. Oxford University Press, New York 1999, ISBN 0-19-532000-X .
- Wolf Kampmann (Ed.), With the assistance of Ekkehard Jost : Reclams Jazzlexikon . Reclam, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-15-010528-5 .
- Official website
- Collin Walcott at Allmusic (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American percussionist and sitar player|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 24, 1945|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York City , New York|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 8, 1984|
|Place of death||near Magdeburg , German Democratic Republic|