Paul McCandless (born March 24, 1947 in Indiana , Pennsylvania ) is an American musician of world jazz . His main instruments are oboe , cor anglais , saxophone , clarinets ; he also plays other instruments . "With his flowing compositional style, his controlled, supercooled tone, especially on his main instrument, the oboe, but also with additional instruments from the wooden flute to the sequencer", he shapes the unmistakable sound of the Oregon group .
Live and act
McCandless comes from a family of musicians; the mother was a pianist. His father and grandfather also played the oboe and clarinet; he first learned the clarinet and piano from his parents, later oboe, flute and saxophone. In addition, he made his first experiences in a school Dixieland band . From 1963 he studied at Duquesne University and played part-time with the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, but also in jazz clubs . In 1967 he began to concentrate on the oboe and moved to the Manhattan School of Music ; his teacher was the oboist Robert Bloom , who later recommended him to Paul Winter . McCandless was able to make a name for himself as a member of the Paul Winter Consort (1968–1972). He then founded the Oregon group with Collin Walcott , Ralph Towner and bassist Glen Moore , which continues to this day.
In addition to his work with Oregon, McCandless pursues his own projects, such as his own trio with the pianist Art Lande and Dave Samuels ( All The Mornings Bring , 1979, and Skylight , 1981) and plays with various other musicians, for example with Eberhard Weber , Michael Di Pasqua or David Darling . In 1985 he toured Europe in a trio with Barre Phillips and Theo Jörgensmann . At a double concert in Oregon, McCandless improvised on the second gig with Andreas Vollenweider . As an accompanying musician he worked a. a. with Billy Hart , John Scofield , Nguyên Lê , Jerry Goodman , Zbigniew Seifert , Eddie Gomez , Béla Fleck , Bob Moses and Pierluigi Balducci .
With a wind octet he realized his own third stream compositions. For his work as composer and arranger on the album Oregon In Moscow (2000) McCandless was nominated in two categories for Grammys in 2002.
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz music. 1700 artists and bands from the beginning until today. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 1999, ISBN 3-476-01584-X .
- Wolf Kampmann (Ed.), With the assistance of Ekkehard Jost : Reclams Jazzlexikon . Reclam, Stuttgart 2003, ISBN 3-15-010528-5 .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 1: A – L (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16512). 2nd Edition. Rowohlt, Reinbek near Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-499-16512-0 .
- Homepage of Paul McCandless (engl.)
- Works by and about Paul McCandless in the catalog of the German National Library
- ↑ M. Kunzler Jazz Lexicon
- ^ Andreas Vollweider concert in Budapest ( Memento from September 28, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz musician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 24, 1947|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Indiana , Pennsylvania|