|Seat||Princeton , United States|
|Number of employees||approx. 11,800 (2012)|
|sales||$ 2.18 billion (2012)|
|Branch||Services (research in the areas of human and veterinary medicine, food industry and the environment)|
Covance Inc. is a US contract research institute that is primarily active in the planning and implementation of clinical studies . It is one of the world's largest of its kind and is represented in 20 countries. The company is headquartered in Princeton , New Jersey . In Germany, Covance is based in Munich and Münster , where it operates one of the largest animal testing laboratories in Europe.
In the late 1980s and 1990s, Corning Incorporated acquired numerous drug development companies, some of which date back to the 1940s. Covance came about when Corning Glass Works expanded its own life sciences division in 1977. During this time, Corning acquired a small stake in Hazleton Laboratories Corp. This move led to the complete acquisition of Hazleton by Corning in 1987, and finally to the acquisition of clinical trials company GH Besselaar Associates in 1989, and to the acquisition of SciCor Inc. in 1991. These companies were merged under the subsidiary Corning Lab Services, Inc., which later became Microtest, Ltd. took up a center for molecular toxicology. In January 1997, Corning spun off these companies as two publicly traded independent companies called Covance, Inc. and Quest Diagnostics, Inc.
In 2014, Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings acquired Covance for $ 6.1 billion.
Covance operates several laboratories for animal experiments in Germany . In particular, the laboratory in Münster , where the teratogenicity of substances is tested in monkeys, has come under public criticism. The Doctors Against Animal Experiments Association has created documentation and is taking action against the company with an online petition , a public demonstration in November 2019, and panel discussions.
The company's main focus is to provide services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnological industries. As part of its own clinical and non-clinical development services, Covance provides exams for the environmental, food, and nutritional supplement industries, as well as custom antibody products and services for neurological disease research. It also offers cell-type-specific marker antibodies for neuroscience and product ranges for both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, as well as an antibody online shop with phosphospecific and secondary antibodies. Covance also provides commercialization services to pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device companies. Reimbursement and counseling services for health economics are provided by the company's own “Market Access Services” department, and follow-up services for approval are offered by the group for peri-approval services. Covance's Nutrition division provides analytical services for nutritional and dietary supplements. In 2009, Covance and Kellogg announced that Covance will conduct analytical chemistry, microbiology and persistence testing on Kellogg products, a business agreement valued at $ 42 million.
In recent years, Covance has continued to expand by acquiring drug development companies. Most notably, Covance acquired GFI Clinical Services, an 80-bed clinical pharmacology company from West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. in August 2005 to expand the company's Phase 1 clinical research offerings.
In May 2006, Covance also acquired Signet Laboratories, Inc., a provider of monoclonal antibodies used in research into cancer, infectious diseases, and neurodegenerative diseases. On August 6, 2008, Covance acquired an early drug discovery facility from Eli Lilly in Greenfield, Indiana for US $ 50 million. With an estimated $ 1.6 billion contract, Covance will provide drug development services to Eli Lilly for the next 10 years. Covance will also provide services to other pharmaceutical and biotechnology customers at the Greenfield site. Covance will take ownership of the site and begin operating on or about October 1, 2008.
On February 19, 2015, Covance was acquired by LabCorp .
- Annual Report 2012 ( Memento of the original from September 17, 2013 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- COMPANY NEWS; Corning-Hazleton . In: New York Times , January 3, 1987. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Briefs . In: New York Times , March 30, 1991. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- History of Covance Inc. . fundinguniverse.com. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Major takeover at US medical technology group: LabCorp takes over Covance. In: Handelsblatt . November 3, 2014, accessed December 24, 2016 .
- orange.handelsblatt.com: Animal experiments with monkeys in Germany: 7 animals per day. Quite legally. February 5, 2018, accessed February 20, 2020 .
- Karin Völker, Münstersche Zeitung: Around 1500 people demonstrate against Covance in Münsters City. November 23, 2019, accessed February 20, 2020 .
- Teresa Walter, Münstersche Zeitung: Tierversuche: Leiden für Menschen. February 8, 2020, accessed February 20, 2020 .
- Covenance: Market Access ( Memento of the original from July 22, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Market Access Services . covance.com. Archived from the original on July 22, 2012. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Covance Nutritional Chemistry & Food Safety . covance.com. Archived from the original on November 14, 2010. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Kellogg, Covance sign food testing deal . just-food.com. December 2, 2009. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Covance Increases Its Phase I Clinical Capacity With Acquisition Of GFI Research Center . covance.com. August 23, 2005. Archived from the original on December 24, 2010. Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. Retrieved July 5, 2012.
- Covance: Covance Aquire Signet Laboratories ( Memento of 7 February 2008 at the Internet Archive ) June 1, 2006
- Covance, Lilly Deal Grows on CRO Industry . centerwatch.com. August 8, 2008. Retrieved July 5, 2012. ( Page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- LabCorp Completes Acquisition of Covance , accessed August 15, 2017