David Stern (basketball official)
David Joel Stern (born September 22, 1942 in New York City , New York ; † January 1, 2020 there ) was the fourth commissioner of the North American professional basketball league National Basketball Association (NBA). The lawyer took over the post from Larry O'Brien in 1984 .
Under Stern's leadership, the NBA expanded into one of the largest and most popular professional leagues worldwide. Since 1984 the league has grown from 23 teams back then to 30 teams today. Despite reservations, Stern and FIBA General Secretary Borislav Stanković campaigned to enable professional basketball players, especially those from the NBA, to participate in the Olympic Games , for which he received the Olympic Order in 2012 . In 1996, two of the NBA subordinate leagues, the WNBA women's league and the NBA-D-League (now G-League ) development league , were founded.
On October 25, 2012, Stern announced his retirement as commissioner for February 1, 2014. His successor was Adam Silver . In 2014, Stern was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and in 2016 into the FIBA Hall of Fame . On New Year's Day 2020, he died at the age of 77 as a result of a cerebral haemorrhage that he suffered in December 2019.
- Star of David in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame On: Hoophall website; Springfield, MA, 2018. Retrieved April 17, 2018 (in English).
- Matt Schudel: David Stern, commissioner who built NBA into global sports phenomenon, dies at 77. In: The Washington Post. January 1, 2020, accessed on January 2, 2020 .
- Marc Berman: Unique cast of characters responsible for building Dream Team. In: New York Post. July 11, 2012, accessed January 6, 2020 .
- OLY - NBA's David Stern awarded Olympic Order. FIBA, August 12, 2012, accessed on January 2, 2020 .
- Stern to retire in 2014; Silver likely to replace him
- Hall of Famers: David J. Stern (USA). FIBA Hall of Fame, accessed January 2, 2020 .
- The NBA mourns the loss of David Stern. In: kicker. January 1, 2020, accessed January 1, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Stern, David Joel (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American manager, commissioner of the NBA|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 22, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||New York , New York , United States|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 1, 2020|
|Place of death||New York , New York , United States|