Dieter Heß grew up in Freiburg im Breisgau and attended the humanistic Berthold-Gymnasium there . In 1952 he graduated from high school. From 1952 to 1957 he studied botany , zoology and chemistry at the Universities of Freiburg im Breisgau and Tübingen . In 1957 he received his doctorate in botany under Friedrich Oehlkers at the University of Freiburg im Breisgau .
From 1957 to 1960 Dieter Heß worked as Friedrich Oehlkers' assistant at the Botanical Institute of the University of Freiburg im Breisgau, where he qualified as a professor there in 1961 in botany. Shortly thereafter, he was appointed private lecturer. He then worked as a research assistant at the Max Planck Institute for Cell Chemistry, today MPI for Biochemistry Munich, with Feodor Lynen and at the Max Planck Institute for Breeding Research , Genetics Department , in Cologne.
In 1966 Dieter Heß was appointed full professor for botany at the University of Hohenheim in Stuttgart. There he set up the Institute for Physiology and Biotechnology of Plants. Hess retired on September 23, 2001.
Hess has also published two novels .
During his scientific career, Dieter Heß gained groundbreaking knowledge in numerous areas of botany. Among other things, he discovered the mRNA in Streptocarpus wendlandii as a trigger for flower induction as early as 1961 . He also undertook studies on the biochemistry and molecular biology of the synthesis of flower anthocyanins in petunias , gene transfer in plants, the regeneration of plants from isolated mesophyll protoplasts using the example of petunia or gene transfer with the help of pollen . Examples include the direct pollen transfer of genes for anthocyanin synthesis or the direct, stable transformation of petunias in the pollen system as well as gene transfer in wheat via microbombardment.
- Schedule of genes , genetic factors control development, Stuttgart (Kosmos) 1972
- Genetics . Herder, 9th edition, Freiburg i.Br. 1982.
- The bloom . Ulmer, 2nd edition, Stuttgart 1990.
- Plant biotechnology . Ulmer, Stuttgart 1992.
- Plant physiology . Ulmer, 11th edition Stuttgart 2008. Translations into Chinese, English (also Unesco edition), Japanese, Spanish, Czech and Hungarian.
- Alpine flowers . Ulmer, Stuttgart 2001.
- The wheel of life - novel from the Himalayas . Novel. Oesch, Zurich 1999.
- Yeshe-Ö. King in Tibet - an almost historical novel from the roof of the world . Novel. Oesch, 2nd edition, Zurich 2000.
- Literature by and about Dieter Heß in the catalog of the German National Library
- Dieter Heß on the website of the University of Hohenheim
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 11, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Karlsruhe|