Raised mostly in Berlin, Reichel studied German, Romance languages and philosophy from 1959 to 1965 at the Free University of Berlin , the University of Würzburg and the University of Kiel . Here he did his doctorate in 1966 with a dissertation on the French author Antoine Furetière and then worked as a German lecturer at the Scuola Normale Superiore in Pisa . Reichel was hired as a lecturer for Italian at the University of Heidelberg in 1968 and completed a journalistic traineeship in Berlin and Hamburg from 1969 to 1970 . In 1970 he became a research assistant in Romance studies at the University of Düsseldorf .
Reichel completed his habilitation at the University of Düsseldorf in 1977 and received the Venia legendi for Romance Philology. In 1978 he was appointed professor for Romance studies at the University of Wuppertal and in 1993 took over the professorship for French-language and Italian literatures at the Technical University of Dresden . He has lived in Berlin since his retirement in 2004.
Reichel's research and teaching focus on French and Italian literature and history from the 18th to the 20th centuries as well as the culture and literature of the Francophone Québec . In 1994, together with Ingo Kolboom and Maria Lieber, he founded the "Center for Interdisciplinary Franco-Canadian and Franco-American Research / Quebec-Saxony" (CIFRAQS), which he led until 2004 as co-director. Since his retirement he has been "honorary co-director".
- 1966: Society and history in the "Roman bourgeois" by Antoine Furetière (Diss. Kiel)
- 1978: The novel and storytelling. Their congruence and discrepancy in researching the novel (in: Deutsche Vierteljahresschrift für Literaturwissenschaft und Geistesgeschichte, No. 52)
- 1985: Nationalism - Hedonism - Fascism, the myth of youth in French politics and literature from 1890 to 1945 (article)
- 1990: The Machiavellian paradigm: the “Euro Principe”. On the reception of a Renaissance writer (in: Italian Studies, No. 12)
- 1993: Contemporary history and novels in the Entre-deux-Guerres
- 1998: Dresden: Romania. Literatures - Languages - Countries (co-editor)
- 2002: French manual. Language - literature - culture - society. For studies, teaching, practice (with Thomas Kotschi and Ingo Kolboom)
- Reichel, Edward. In: Dorit Petschel : 175 years of TU Dresden. Volume 3: The professors of the TU Dresden 1828–2003. Edited on behalf of the Society of Friends and Supporters of the TU Dresden e. V. von Reiner Pommerin , Böhlau, Cologne a. a. 2003, ISBN 3-412-02503-8 , p. 753.
- Marion Steinbach, Dorothee Risse (ed.): La poesie est dans la vie. Flânerie through poetry on both sides of the Rhine. Festschrift for Edward Reichel's 60th birthday . Romanistic publishing house, Bonn 2000.
- Literature by and about Edward Reichel in the SUDOC catalog (Association of French University Libraries)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Romanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 20, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|