Egon Becker (born November 2, 1936 in Zweibrücken , Pfalz) is a science researcher and one of the co-founders of the institute for social-ecological research .
After training as an electrician in Zweibrücken (Palatinate), Egon Becker studied communications engineering at the State Engineering School in Darmstadt, then mathematics and physics at the TH Darmstadt and philosophy and sociology at the University of Frankfurt am Main . After obtaining his doctorate in theoretical solid-state physics in 1967, he worked as a physicist at Yale University in New Haven (USA) and at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . Since the early 1970s he was also a member of the university assistant conference and was involved in the development and founding of the University of Bremen .
From 1972 to 2000 he held the professorship for science and university research at the University of Frankfurt in the Faculty of Education . This was based in the Department of Education, of which he was Dean from 1986 to 1988. Becker also performed numerous tasks in university self-administration, held leading positions in various committees and in the Senate, was a member of the Democratic University Reform group and as such was involved in the teaching and study committee, among other things.
Egon Becker is co-founder of the Institute for Social-Ecological Research (ISOE) in Frankfurt am Main. Between 1984 and 1993 he was visiting professor in Kassel, Rio de Janeiro and Mexico City. As a member of the group in 2004 , he is co-author of the memorandum “Rethinking University”. He is a member of the scientific advisory board of the German Society for Human Ecology (DGH) and the Heinrich Böll Foundation Hessen.
Egon Becker has published numerous articles on the theory of magnetism , on science and university research , on the theory of science , on questions of social-ecological transformation, on sustainability , as well as on theories and methods of social ecology .
Book publications (selection)
- E. Becker, Gerd Jungblut: Strategies of educational production: an investigation into educational economics , curriculum development and the like. Didactics within the framework of system-compliant qualification planning. Frankfurt a. M .: Suhrkamp 1972
- E. Becker, Bernd Wagner: Economy of Education. Frankfurt a. M./New York: Campus 1977
- E. Becker: Curricular cul-de-sacs: Problems of social-technological theory constructions and planning strategies based on curriculum theory. Königstein: Scriptor 1980
- E. Becker (Hrsg.): Reflection problems of university research: Contributions to the theory and method discussion. Weinheim: Beltz 1983
- E. Becker (Ed.): Environment and Development. Frankfurt a. M .: Verl. For intercultural communication 1992
- E. Becker, Peter Wehling: Risk science. Ecological perspectives in science and universities. Frankfurt a. M., New York: Campus 1993
- E. Becker, Thomas Jahn (Ed.): Sustainability and the Social Sciences. London, New York: Zed Books 1999
- E. Becker, Thomas Jahn (ed.): Social ecology. Basic features of a science of the social relations of nature. Frankfurt a. M., New York: Campus 2006
- E. Becker: No society without nature: Contributions to the development of a social ecology . Frankfurt a. M., New York: Campus 2016
Important recent publications
- E. Becker (2002/2008): Transformations of Social and Ecological Issues into Transdisciplinary Research. In: Unesco (ed.), Knowledge for Sustainable Development. An Insight into the Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems. Volume 3. Paris, Oxford, 949-963
- E. Becker, E. Schramm (2002): Coupled systems. For modeling and forecasting social-ecological systems. In: I. Balzer & M. Wächter, (Eds.), Social-ecological research. Results of the exploratory projects from the BMBF funding priority. Munich, pp. 361-276
- E. Becker (2003): Social Ecology: Contours and Concepts of a New Science. In: G. Matschonat & A. Gerber (Eds.), Scientific Theoretical Perspectives for Environmental Research. Weikersheim, pp. 165-196
- E. Becker, Th. Jahn (2003): Outlines of a critical theory of social relations to nature. In: G. Böhme , A. Manzei (Ed.), Critical Theory of Technology and Nature. Munich: Wilhelm Fink.
- E. Becker (2005): Albert Einstein. In: C. Seelig (Ed.), Albert Einstein. My world view. Zurich, pp. 277–295
- E. Becker (2009): Political Ecology as a Revolutionary Utopia? In: R. Zwengel (Ed.), Without Proletariat in Paradise? On the topicality of the thinking of André Gorz. Democracy, Ecology, Vol. 23, Heinrich Böll Foundation. Essen, pp. 15–31
- E. Becker, D. Hummel , Th. Jahn (2011): Social relations to nature as a framework. In: M. Groß (Hrsg.), Handbuch Umweltsoziologie. Wiesbaden, pp. 75-96
- E. Becker, B. Breckling (2011): Border Zones of Ecology and Systems Theory. In: A. Schwarz , K. Jax (Eds.), Ecology Revisited. Reflecting on Concepts, Advancing Science. Heidelberg, 385-403
- E. Becker (2011): Nature conditions. In: A. Niederberger, P. Schink (eds.), Globalization. An interdisciplinary manual. Stuttgart, Weimar, pp. 333-339
- E. Becker (2012): Social-Ecological Systems as Epistemic Objects. In: M. Glaser , G. Krause, B. Ratter, M. Welp (Eds.), Human-Nature Interactions in the Anthropocene: Potentials of Social-Ecological Systems Analysis. Loundon, pp. 37-59
- E. Becker (2012): Sustainable Knowledge Processes. From the classic idea of the university to preventive science. In: H. Egner , M. Schmid (eds.), Beyond traditional science. On the role of science in a preventive society. Munich, 29-48
- E. Becker (2013): El sentido ecológico de la vida humana. In: A. Ortiz-Osés, B. Solares, L. Garagalza (eds.), Claves de la existencia. El sentido plural de la vida humana. Barcelona, Madrid, pp. 221-242
- E. Becker (2015): Human-ecological systems thinking? Difficulties in connecting heterogeneous discourses. In: K.-H. Simon, F. Tretter (Ed.), Systems Theories and Human Ecology. Determining positions in theory and practice. Munich, pp. 108-148
- Literature by and about Egon Becker in the catalog of the German National Library
- "The university, which is only determined by money, is no longer his place" (Frankfurter Rundschau) (PDF; 47 kB)
- Teacher Training - Illusions Without End?
- ↑ a b c Prof. Dr. Egon Becker, curriculum vitae. In: Institute for Social-Ecological Research. Retrieved April 21, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German science researcher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 2, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zweibrücken , Palatinate|