Emily Margarethe Haber (* 1956 in Bonn , née Oncken) is a German diplomat . She was a permanent state secretary from 2011 to 2018 , in the Federal Foreign Office from 2011 to 2013 and in the Federal Ministry of the Interior from 2014 to 2018 . Since summer 2018, Haber has succeeded Peter Wittig as Ambassador of the Federal Republic of Germany in the USA .
Emily Haber is the daughter of the diplomat Dirk Oncken , who was both head of the Foreign Office's planning team and ambassador to Greece , India and Turkey . She studied history at the University of Cologne and did her doctorate with Andreas Hillgruber with the thesis Panthersprung nach Agadir: German politics during the second Morocco crisis in 1911 , about German foreign policy in the Morocco crisis. Emily Haber is married to the German diplomat Hansjörg Haber and has two children.
After joining the Foreign Service , she worked as an advisor in the Soviet Union section of the Foreign Office, as a political advisor at the German embassy in Moscow , as a cultural advisor at the German embassy in Ankara and as deputy head of the cabinet and parliamentary department of the Foreign Office in Bonn active. From 1999 to 2002 she was at the German embassy in Moscow, first as head of the economic department, then as head of the political department. From 2002 to 2006 she was employed at the Foreign Office in Berlin as Head of the OSCE Department and Commissioner for Conflict Prevention and Crisis Management in the Euro-Atlantic Framework, followed by a position as Commissioner for Southeastern Europe and Turkey from 2006 to 2009.
From 2009 to 2011 she was Political Director of the Foreign Office and in this role, among other things, German negotiator in the EU 3 + 3 negotiations on the Iranian nuclear program . She is said to have advised Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle in vain to approve Resolution 1973 of the UN Security Council . On July 2, 2011, Haber was appointed State Secretary in the Federal Foreign Office together with Harald Braun . She replaced Wolf-Ruthart Born and was responsible for European policy , among other things . From January 13, 2014 to March 14, 2018, Haber was State Secretary in the Federal Ministry of the Interior , where she was responsible for the topics of security, migration and integration; her competencies as State Secretary were greatly expanded in October 2015. In this respect, her testimony to the Interior Committee of the German Bundestag in the BAMF affair is still pending. Since 22 June 2018 she leads the first woman to German Embassy in Washington, DC On 23 February 2019 the news magazine was research Focus announced that partners in January 2017 revealed as former Secretary of State in a cover-up scandal of the German government to stop the Berlin Christmas market at the Gedächtniskirche .
- Emily Haber , in: Internationales Biographisches Archiv 37/2011 from September 13, 2011, in the Munzinger archive ( beginning of article freely accessible)
- The ambassador. In: Website of the German representations in the USA. Retrieved October 29, 2019 .
- Majid Sattar: Emily Haber: Kleine Revolution am Werderschen Markt Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung of May 28, 2011, accessed on June 28, 2018.
- German Embassy in Washington. In: German representations in the USA. June 22, 2018, accessed June 22, 2018 .
- German National Library, panther jump to Agadir: d. German politics during d. second Morocco crisis 1911 / Emily Oncken
- Westerwelle's latest restart . Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
- New State Secretaries in the Federal Foreign Office: Emily Haber and Harald Braun. (No longer available online.) European Movement Germany , archived from the original on June 25, 2011 ; Retrieved August 22, 2011 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Change in the management area of the Federal Ministry of the Interior. Federal Ministry of the Interior, January 13, 2014, accessed on January 13, 2014 .
- De Maizière's disempowerment, which never took place in FAZ on October 7, 2015.
- The “strongest woman” in the Foreign Office goes to Washington . The world
- Deported Amri friend was registered with several identities. In: focus.de. February 23, 2019, accessed February 23, 2019 .
German Ambassador to the United States
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Oncken, Emily (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German diplomat|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bonn|