In contrast, the term shaft is used for the handle parts of poles and some cutting , stabbing , striking and thrusting weapons (including sword , lance and spear ) as well as for devices with interchangeable tools .
- The flat is very stable against stress and allows a secure attachment of the handle shells.
- The round is mostly used for knives with handles made of deer horn or wood. The hollowed-out handle is placed over the round, the space in between is filled with epoxy resin and the end is screwed on.
- In the case of tools whose handle is not subject to rotation , the tang is only wedged. An antiquated technique is to guide the tang through the wooden handle and fold it back and forth in a U-shape.
- Especially with high-quality carving tools, the tang is polygonal, with files and rasps it is also triangular.
- A rat tail tang is a very thin, round tang that is only screwed on.
Bladed weapons and knives usually have a tang.
In Japanese swords, the Erl is called Nakago .