Eugippius (also: Eugippus) (* approx. 465 , possibly in North Africa; † after 533 in Castellum Lucullanum near Naples ) is an early Christian saint and church writer and as the biographer of the monk Severin von Noricum († 482) of particular importance.
Whether Eugippius still knew Severin is controversial in research. Should he have met Severin, as Uytfanghe thinks possible, for example, a time shortly before the saint's death should be considered. It is more likely, however, that Eugippius only joined the monastery community after Severin's death. Severin himself died in the turmoil of the beginning mass migration on January 8, 482 in Favianis , probably today's Mautern near Krems . The move of the Severin Convent to Italy in 488 is likely to have been carried out under the direction of Lucillus. At that time, Eugippius could already have been a member of the convention. The community founded their new monastery in Castellum Lucullanum near Naples, to which the remains of Severin were also transferred. After Lucillus' death Marcianus became head of the community. Eugippius then became the third abbot of the Order of Severin. He wrote a rule of the order and also a flower harvest from the works of Augustine of Hippo, which was highly valued in the Middle Ages, and corresponded with various greats of his time, such as Cassiodor , Dionysius Exiguus , Fulgentius von Ruspe , Fulgentius Ferrandus as well as a certain Proba, who is believed to be the daughter of Pope Symmachus was. His most important work was the Vita Sancti Severini , which was intended as a simple commemoratorium .
The Vita Sancti Severini was u. a. Published by Theodor Mommsen in 1898 and experienced numerous editions, commentaries and the like. It is written in a kind of early church Latin . Special editions include: Eugyppii Abbatis opera a Joanne Herold edita (Basel 1542) and GW Robinson The Life of Saint Severinus (1914).
- Vita Sancti Severini. Latin / German ; translated and edited by Theodor Nüsslein. Reclam, Stuttgart 1999, ISBN 3-15-008285-4
- Hermann Sauppe (ed.): Auctores antiquissimi 1,2: Eugippii Vita sancti Severini. Berlin 1877 ( Monumenta Germaniae Historica , )
- Adolf Jülicher : Eugippius . In: Paulys Realencyclopadie der classischen Antiquity Science (RE). Volume VI, 1, Stuttgart 1907, Col. 988-990.
- Heinz Löwe : Eugippius. In: Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde (RGA). 2nd Edition. Volume 7, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin / New York 1989, ISBN 3-11-011445-3 , pp. 620–622.
- Friedrich Wilhelm Bautz : Eugippius, church writer, saint. In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL). Volume 1, Bautz, Hamm 1975. 2nd, unchanged edition Hamm 1990, ISBN 3-88309-013-1 , Sp. 1556.
- Maximilian Krausgruber: The rule of Eugippius. The monastery order of the author of the Vita Sancti Severini in the light of its sources - text, translation and commentary (= Peter Hofrichter (Ed.): Early Christianity. Research and Perspectives Volume 2) Kulturverlag, Thaur near Innsbruck 1996, ISBN 3-85400-022- 7 .
- Latin text of the Vita Sancti Severini in the Latin Library
- Digitized of a manuscript from Thesaurus ex S. Augustini operibus from the manuscript collection of the Bamberg State Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Church writer, saint|
|DATE OF BIRTH||at 465|
|DATE OF DEATH||after 533|
|Place of death||Castel dell'Ovo|