Frank Nägler (born February 19, 1953 in Eichstätt ) is a German naval officer ( retired frigate captain ) and military historian .
In 1971, after graduating from high school, Nägler joined the German Navy as an officer candidate and member of crew X / 71 . From 1979 to 1985 he studied Historical Sciences and International Law (MA) and in 1990 at Ernst Portner - the examiner was Ernst Opgenoorth - at the Philosophical Faculty of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms University in Bonn to Dr. phil. PhD. The revised dissertation was published under the title From the Idea of Peace to the Apology of War. An investigation of intellectual currents in the area of the Rotteck-Welcker State Lexicon in Nomos Verlag .
From 1986 to 1992 he was a lecture hall director and faculty officer at the Naval School Mürwik . From 1993 to 1995 he worked as a lecturer in the field of military history at the command academy of the Bundeswehr (FüAkBw) in Hamburg. In 1995 he became a historian officer , most recently in the rank of frigate captain, at the Military History Research Office (MGFA) in Potsdam. In 2004 he took over the marine department there. Nägler is retired and currently works as a lecturer at the University of Potsdam .
Nägler was u. a. Member of the scientific advisory board of the German Maritime Museum . He published u. a. on the history of the Bundeswehr , naval history , liberalism and the topic of "German Jewish soldiers".
- From the idea of peace to the apology of war. An investigation of intellectual currents in the area of the Rotteck-Welcker State Lexicon (= Nomos-Universitätsschriften, Geschichte , Volume 4). Nomos, Baden-Baden 1990, ISBN 3-7890-2213-6 (plus dissertation, University of Bonn, 1990).
- German Jewish soldiers. From the epoch of emancipation to the age of the world wars. An exhibition by the Military History Research Office in collaboration with the Moses Mendelssohn Center , Potsdam and the Centrum Judaicum, Berlin . Mittler, Hamburg a. a. 1996, ISBN 3-8132-0525-8 .
- The wanted soldier and his change. Personnel armament and internal leadership in the years of establishment of the Bundeswehr 1956 to 1964/65 (= Security Policy and Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Germany , Volume 9). A publication by the Military History Research Office, Oldenbourg, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-486-58815-6 .
- Ed .: Die Bundeswehr 1955 to 2005. Flashbacks - Insights - Perspectives (= Security Policy and Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Germany , Volume 7). Commissioned by the Military History Research Office, Oldenbourg, Munich 2007, ISBN 978-3-486-57958-1 .
- Edited with Michael Epkenhans , Jörg Hillmann : Skagerrakschlacht. Prehistory - event - processing (= contributions to military history , volume 66). Commissioned by the Military History Research Office, Oldenbourg, Munich 2010, ISBN 978-3-486-70270-5 .
- English edition: Jutland: World War I's Greatest Naval Battle (= Foreign military studies ). University Press of Kentucky, Lexington 2015, ISBN 978-0-8131-6605-6 .
- Edited with Matthew Seligmann , Michael Epkenhans: The Naval Route to the Abyss. The Anglo-German Naval Race 1895-1914 (= Navy Records Society Publications , Volume 161). Ashgate, Farnham 2015, ISBN 978-1-4724-4093-8 .
- Literature by and about Frank Nägler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Frank Nägler in the German Digital Library
- Search for Frank Nägler in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- ↑ Frank Nägler: From the idea of peace to the apology of war . Baden-Baden 1990, p. 7.
- ↑ Klaus-Jürgen Bremm , Hans-Hubertus Mack , Martin Rink (eds.): Decided for peace. 50 years of the Bundeswehr. 1955 to 2005 . Rombach, Freiburg im Breisgau 2005, ISBN 3-7930-9438-3 , p. 334.
- ^ Team , University of Potsdam, accessed on July 28, 2014.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German naval officer and military historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||19th February 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Eichstatt|