Ernst Opgenoorth (born February 12, 1936 in Kleve ; † September 2, 2018 ) was a German historian .
Opgenoorth was born the son of a tax clerk. From 1956 to 1962 he studied history , philosophy and journalism at the University of Bonn and the Free University of Berlin . In 1962 he presented his first state examination for the teaching profession and was at Walther Hubatsch at the Philosophical Faculty of the University of Bonn with a thesis on The Bailiwick of Brandenburg of St. John in the age of the Reformation and Counter-Reformation to Dr. phil. PhD. In 1971 he completed his habilitation with the thesis Friedrich Wilhelm. The great Elector of Brandenburg. A political biography . After that he initially worked as a journalist. He was then until 2001 Professor of Medieval and Modern History at the Department of History in Bonn.
From 1963 to 1970 Opgenoorth was a member of the Scientific Commission of the FRG for the 13th European Art Exhibition on the Order of St. John in Valletta / Malta . He was a founding member of the Working Group on the History of Prussia , on whose board he was from 1973 to 1992. From 1983 to 1998 he was a board member of the Historical Commission for East and West Prussian State Research . In addition, he became a member of the Prussian Historical Commission . From 1975 to 1990 he was a member of the board of trustees of the Friedrich Naumann Foundation .
Opgenoorth is the father of two sons.
- The Brandenburg Balli of the Order of St. John in the Age of Reformation and Counter-Reformation (= yearbook of the Albertus University of Königsberg, Prussia . Supplement 24). Holzner, Würzburg 1963.
- "Foreigners" in Brandenburg-Prussia as leading officials and officers 1604–1871 (= yearbook of the Albertus University of Königsberg, Prussia . Supplement 28). Holzner, Würzburg 1967.
- Introduction to the Study of Modern History . With a foreword by Walther Hubatsch, Westermann, Braunschweig 1969 (with Günther Schulz , 7th completely revised edition, Schöningh (UTB), Paderborn 2010, ISBN 978-3-8252-1553-8 ).
- Friedrich Wilhelm. The great Elector of Brandenburg. A political biography . Musterschmidt, Göttingen a. a. 1972/78.
- Volume 1: 1620-1660 (1972).
- Volume 2: 1660-1688 (1978).
- People's democracy in the cinema. Propagandist self-portrayal of the SED in the DEFA documentary 1946–1957 . Verlag Wissenschaft und Politik, Cologne 1984, ISBN 3-8046-8644-3 .
- with Konrad Repgen , Michael Salewski : In memoriam Walther Hubatsch. Speeches held on November 21, 1985 at the academic commemoration of the Philosophical Faculty of the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn (= Alma mater . Volume 61). Bouvier. Bonn 1986, ISBN 3-416-09156-6 .
- Handbook of the history of East and West Prussia (= individual publications of the Historical Commission for East and West Prussian State Research . Volume 10). On behalf of the Historical Commission for East and West Prussian State Research , Mehrteilig, Verlag Nordostdeutsches Kulturwerk, Lüneburg 1994 ff.
- Part 1: From the partition to the Swedish-Polish war, 1466–1655 (1994, ISBN 3-922296-77-7 ).
- Part 2: From the Swedish-Polish War to the Reform Era, 1655–1807 (1996, ISBN 3-922296-88-2 ).
- Part 3: From the Reform Period to the Treaty of Versailles, 1807–1918 (1998, ISBN 3-932267-09-5 ).
- Part 4: From the Treaty of Versailles to the end of the Second World War, 1918–1945 (1997, ISBN 3-932267-06-0 ).
- Johann Gustav Droysen and his correspondents. A study of the history of communication. In: Yearbook on Liberalism Research 27 (2015), pp. 149–182.
- Norbert Beleke (Ed.): Who is who? The German Who's Who . 45th edition 2006/2007, Schmidt-Römhild, Lübeck 2006, ISBN 3-7950-2042-5 , p. 983.
- Jürgen Frölich , Esther-Beate Körber , Michael Rohrschneider (eds.): Prussia and Prussia from the 17th century to the present. Contributions to the colloquium on the occasion of Ernst Opgenoorth's 65th birthday on February 12, 2001 . Berlin Verlag Spitz, Berlin 2002, ISBN 3-8305-0268-0 .
- Michael Rohrschneider , Andreas Rutz : Obituary for Ernst Opgenoorth (1936–2018) , in: Research on Brandenburg and Prussian History. New episode 28 (2018) , pp. 209–220.
- Literature by and about Ernst Opgenoorth in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Ernst Opgenoorth in the German Digital Library
- Search for "Ernst Opgenoorth" in the SPK digital portal of the Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
- ↑ Ernst Opgenoorth: The Brandenburg Balli of the Order of St. John in the Age of Reformation and Counter-Reformation . Würzburg 1963, p. 27.
- ^ Vademecum of the historical sciences . 1st edition, 1994/95, Steiner, Stuttgart 1994, p. 409.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 12, 1936|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Kleve|
|DATE OF DEATH||2nd September 2018|