Gehring moved with his parents to Königsberg at a young age . He studied mathematics in Berlin and Heidelberg , where he came into contact with Hermann von Helmholtz (1821–1884). In 1860 he was awarded a doctorate in mathematics at the University of Berlin under Ernst Eduard Kummer. phil. PhD. In 1862 he moved to Bonn and became a private lecturer in mathematics at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität . In 1866 he married Angela Eskens there, with whom he had five children.
In 1871 Gehring moved to Vienna to take over the music department of the new Deutsche Zeitung at the insistence of Johannes Brahms . He was also a lecturer in mathematics at the University of Vienna .
He died of a stroke at the age of 45 .
- De aequationibus differentialibus, quibus aequilibrium et motus laminae crystallinae definiuntur , Berlin 1860 in the Google book search
- Mozart , London 1883 ( archive.org )
- Obituary in: Almanach of the Cooperative of German Stage Members , ed. by Ernst Gettke , vol. 13, Kassel / Leipzig 1885, p. 79 ( digitized version )
- Gehring, Franz . In: Theodore Baker, Alfred Remy (Eds.): Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians . 1919, p. 301 .
- Literature by and about Franz Gehring in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Franz Gehring in the German Digital Library
- Franz Gehring in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Neue Illustrirte Zeitung , Vienna, vol. 12, volume 1, no. 16 of January 13, 1884, p. 14 ( digitized version )
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Gehring, Franz Eduard|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German music journalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 7, 1838|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Nordhausen|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 4, 1884|
|Place of death||Penzing (Vienna)|