Franz Krenn (composer)
Born in Droß (district of Krems) as the son of a school teacher, he received his first music lessons from his father, later he was taught by his uncle, a student of Joseph Preindl , and by the pastor of his home town. After completing the pedagogical course in Krems , he initially worked as a school assistant in Weikersdorf , but went to Vienna in 1834 , where he studied composition with Ignaz von Seyfried and worked for several years as a piano teacher for the court choir boys.
From 1844 he held several organist positions, in 1862 he became Kapellmeister at the Michaelerkirche , which he made into a center of Cecilianism . In 1869 he received the professorship for harmony, counterpoint and composition at the Conservatory of the Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Vienna , where he worked until 1891, alongside Anton Bruckner . The composer Franz Krenn taught numerous important musicians as a professor at the conservatory, including Gustav Mahler , Hans Rott , Mathilde Kralik , Leoš Janáček , Adolf Wallnöfer , Hugo Wolf and Alexander Zemlinsky .
Franz Krenn is the father of the painter Edmund Krenn (1845–1902). A memorial plaque for Franz Krenn can be found at Michaelerplatz 6 in Vienna.
Krenn's extensive work includes 29 masses, the two oratorios Bonifazius and The Four Last Things , a Requiem and a Te Deum, cantatas, smaller church compositions , a symphony in G minor (composed in 1850), string and piano quartets, organ and piano pieces , furthermore an organ school (1845), a school singing course and a music and harmony course (1890).
- Karl Schütz: Music maintenance at St. Michael in Vienna. Vienna 1980.
- Antonicek: Austrian Biographical Lexicon 1815–1950 (ÖBL). Volume 4, Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, Vienna 1969, p. 258. In:
- Alexander Rausch: Krenn, Franz. In: Rudolf Flotzinger (Ed.): Österreichisches Musiklexikon. Volume 3. Vienna 2004, p. 1160.
- Johannes Volker Schmidt: Hans Rott. Life and work. Hildesheim / Zurich / New York 2010, pp. 72–93 (excursus II: Franz Krenn), ISBN 978-3-487-14222-7 .
- Franz Krenn: Overture for a large orchestra in D major. Score, ed. by Johannes Volker Schmidt. Ries & Erler, Berlin , ISMN M-013-51315-4.
- Johannes Volker Schmidt: Franz Krenn and Rudolf Krzyzanowski. About two central people from Hans Rott's environment . In: Uwe Harten, Johannes Volker Schmidt (Ed.): 'The thing for which my life stands'. Studies on the life and work of the Viennese composer Hans Rott . Olms, Hildesheim / Zurich / New York 2014, pp. 65–90.
- Works by and about Franz Krenn in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Franz Krenn (composer) in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Entry on Franz Krenn (composer) in the database of the state's memory for the history of the state of Lower Austria ( Museum Niederösterreich )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 26, 1816|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Droß|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 18, 1897|
|Place of death||St. Andrä|